Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading a "real" book, Michael Connelly's latest novel, The Dark Side of Goodbye. I took the physical book out of the library only because, in renovating its website, the library lost all of my "recommended" books. The typeface is so teeny-tiny, I am thinking of buying the Kindle book, as I find myself speed-reading to get through the "real" book. My eyes just don't see as well as they once did.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-18-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I love to read real books not kindle. But I do not have the desire to own them. The library is my friend and meets (most of) my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I was doing that for awhile, not buying anymore books from the thrift store, yard sales etc, and rarely would buy brand new books. Checking them out from the library. But I don't know if everyone eats while reading or what. I kept finding smears of mustard on the pages, coffee spills, crumbs of different things, other weird food related things, watered down pages, dead bugs, underlined paragraphs, highlighted sentences, and too many bent pages! I hate bent pages. I inserted little notes in the books to use a bookmark. Those kinds of things are a big turnoff. I would report the wanton destruction of their books to them when I returned them, and they just put them back on the shelves.
Even worse for me is the smell of past readers' hand lotion. Some library books end up so perfumey, I give up on them by page 30. Kindle saves me from having to deal with that.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-18-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 04:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
You and I are kindred spirits!
Nary a doubt!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I do. I recently ordered some from online. I was looking for one author and bought a lot of about a dozen.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
It is hard to sell used books. You might do better at a used bookstore. That's why many people donate their books to local books sales or to the Goodwill, or to a library book sale. You can take a tax write off for doing so.

Used book sales are advertised online to people who like used books, and if the sale is big enough, it can draw lots of customers. But sales of books in garages or yards will not draw the same number of avid readers that a large used book sale draws.

Books purchased through a book club will not hold the same value as original edition books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books