Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:02 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times

Advertisements

I'm not writing a book, but I've always heard that its very hard to get anyone to look at your book because they get so many in to look at. I was reading the thread by cpg regarding writers. cpg, didn't you say you have had a book published? I know if you are a "celebrity", they will hop right on it because they know they will sell a lot, but how does a first time non-celebrity go about getting published? I read where someone said "Do not self publish." Wouldn't that be better than nothing at all?

I have several friends who have books published, but it's of the "Harlequinesque" genre. They say those publishers don't care how similar they are because they sell. (I don't know how, I don't know anyone who reads them) They have tried to get me to write them.

How about childrens books? I've seen some that were so simple, it's amazing that they were published. (Do they get any simpler than Hello Moon?) Do you have to do the illustrations also? Does erotica sell well? I would think that would be an easy genre to write as well.

Should you write what you love to read? I like mind bending, psychological thrillers. I could even write a memoir about my crappy childhood, but how would I go about getting a publisher?

Thanks for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
this is a topic of interest for me since I'm a writing major and hoping to go into publishing. from what I've learned, self publishing isn't always evil, it's just that it's a lot of work. you have to prepare the book yourself (meaning you have to copy edit it, bind it etc), then you have to promote it. big box stores like Borders and Barnes and Noble won't carry self publish works, so your main recourse is to try Amazon and smaller, independent bookstores. you won't have People/Entertainment Weekly/NYT reviewing your book, so basically the only way to promote it is word of mouth.

most new authors need to get agents. many publishers won't accept unsolicited manuscripts and will only deal w/ agents. there are lots of websites out there that lists agents based on genre that specify what they will and won't accept. by far the best resource out there is the Writer's Market books. there's a mainstream one, one for Children's books, and I believe one just for agents. the books are kind of pricey (about $25) and they can become outdated very quickly (due to turnovers at publishing offices), but it's still a great book if you can get a hold of one

another way to get your foot in the door is to write short stories. writing for magazines and newspapers is easier since they tend to be less restrictive. lots of major authors got their start writing short stories for magazines. even if you only got paid $20 for a short story, it's something you can use in terms of marketing yourself

for children's books, unless you are both a good writer and a good artist, they, the publishers, may just pair you up w/ an artist they feel will complement your work.

I think you should write what you like to read, but you may need to narrow down the field (or use pseudonyms). the mom looking for a picture book for Junior doesn't want to find out the author also wrote erotica

memoirs are getting tricky now. seems like everyone had a crappy childhood (heck, I could write an encyclopedia set about the tragedy that was my childhood!), but these days, memoirs by everyday folks have to be seriously over the top in order to get any notice. in many prominent cases, authors have been caught lying about their memoirs. seems like w/ memoirs, there's this game to see who can out do the other, so you get these stories about all sorts of crazy stuff (living in a house w/ a working electroshock chair; white girl living w/ Crips; little girl killing Nazis w/ her bare hands and being raised by talking wolves, etc). not discounting your childhood, but it would have to be spectacularly bad in order to compete w/ some of these memoirs

anyways, to get back to the original question, best ways to find a publishers:

-get an agent
-use resources like Writer's Market and Publisher's Weekly (there are others out there I believe)
-get connections (it REALLY does help to know someone in the biz. all it takes is the right person to read your story.)
-publish some short stories

I'm sure there are other ways, but those are the biggies I could think of

Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Authors of those Harlequinesque novels generally don't use their real names, in fact are encouraged to use glamorous noms de plume. They are often in it for the practice (because those houses dont pay very well either). These editors understand this and if a trusted author is working on something else, sometimes the editor will shop it around herself or recommend an agent or another publication avenue.

The earlier poster's suggestion to publish in magazines is a great idea. College presses might be interested too. Being published anywhere will build your confidence and lend weight to your "enclosed outline and sample chapters."

Speaking of being published anywhere, what about online?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
Probably getting an agent or developing publishing connections are the two best ways to publish a book. And most often (b) the connections lead to (a) the agent.

In my own writing career, albeit limited, I've been asked by a publisher to contribute work rather than the other way around, but it was the connection(s) I formed over the years that started the ball rolling.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
First, just keep writing. Your style will develop and you'll find your genre. You'll get to "know" the editors at the magazines, etc. to which you submit your stuff and they may eventually suggest an agency or a particular agent. (After a while the agent thing will fall into place, is what Im saying.)

Oh, a thought - creative writing classes, history classes, humanities and arts classes at community colleges - these instructors may have an "in." You may not have to take a class.

But the important thing for now is to keep on. Im sure there are places online where you can jump right in today and get instant feedback, compare "yourself" to other fledgling writers, etc.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times
You all have excellent advice. Thank you very much. I really think writing is harder than most people realize, don't you? A lot of people assume that if you read a lot, you can write. My few friends that write the "sappy" stuff do use a nom de plume. One of them loves my name, and asked if she could write under it. I said "Sorry, but I don't want my name on that genre." I may change my mind tho, the more she encourages me. lols.

eevee, I love your memoir comparisons.

You all sound so knowledgeable; I would love to read something you've written. Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
write a book-pay to get some copies out to the press-, if you do believe with your cause-be somebody, or not get on the oprah show-and then you are golden! just get a few books to the press and public!
then get to her book club! also RD and Good Housekeeping make it a wee bit short-get some of the story to them to be published-then expand.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
This site may help.

Making Light: On the getting of agents

Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,118,547 times
what ever you do, stay away from Publish America.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:31 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,482,659 times
Book Publisher, Book Publishers, Self Publishing Companies - AuthorHouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books