U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM

16,719 posts, read 16,070,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I will never stand in line at a used bookstore and deal with the dismissive arrogance of book assessors.
So you weren't the only one who experienced this? I wanted to smack the snooty snot out of that girl. What is the big deal? LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,908,257 times
I keep a few VERY (6-8) special books that I loved and have read some of them twice or three times. I give the others away.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I keep all my books. The only ones I've gotten rid of were books other people gave me as gifts, or books I was forced to read in college or grad school.

I can't stand lending or borrowing books. I'd rather just buy someone a book instead of lending it to them (I don't like that empty spot on the bookshelf!) I don't "do" libraries (except book sales at libraries).

To me, books are a committed relationship. I re-read books I've already read, like visiting old friends.
What about the ones that have a crappy ending or just don't hold your interest? You still keep them? Wow.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 20,092,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What about the ones that have a crappy ending or just don't hold your interest? You still keep them? Wow.
I rarely decide I hate a book after I've read the whole thing, and I'm not one to start a book, and then decide I don't like it and stop. I guess I'm very careful about what books I start reading. Mostly because I don't borrow them from libraries, every book I buy is an investment, even if it's $10. I read ABOUT any book before I buy it and read it. I'm rarely very disappointed.

Even if I finish a book and think "meh, could have been better," I still think I'm better off for having read it. Maybe there's one line I marked that really made me think. Or some idea that I ended up journaling about. Or the book talked about some past event or person I hadn't known about, and that led me on a historical research journey. And I'm always looking things up in all my non-fiction books I've read.

I also can pick up any book I've read, and in paging through it, have memories of where I was in my life at that time I first read it. So even if the book wasn't wonderful, it holds all kinds of memories for me, because it was "with me" when this or that happened in my life. That's why I kept a lot of my textbooks from college. Just looking at some page of the biology book reminds me of a friend I had back then. Or looking at a chapter in my Western Civ book reminds me of a guy I dated at that time.

Again, books are kind of like people. Some I like more than others, some might be a little disappointing, but every one I meet has led me to where I am now. And unlike people, I can live with lots of them and not feel intruded upon, and they all have given me more than they've taken.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 PM

3,182 posts, read 6,822,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I keep a few VERY (6-8) special books that I loved and have read some of them twice or three times. I give the others away.
This is my strategy too. If I give away a book and then wish I owned it, I buy it again and remember to hold on to it (I've only done this once or twice). I LOVE giving away books - especially if I LOVED the book!

Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 PM

12,571 posts, read 9,746,749 times
I've sold everything and moved more than once. Books are heck to move. If i love a book i try to figure out who would enjoy it and pass it along. if it's a regular book i just give it to goodwill, etc.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,319,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
This is my strategy too. If I give away a book and then wish I owned it, I buy it again and remember to hold on to it (I've only done this once or twice). I LOVE giving away books - especially if I LOVED the book!
This is exactly me.....I hate when someone asks to BORROW A BOOK. .. in my head this means they want to read it and you most likely won't give it back...So they can have it. ..like you, I've bought them again!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM

894 posts, read 452,653 times
I pretty much always keep my books with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions. Usually if I like a book enough to buy it, I will probably read it more than once.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM

24,045 posts, read 17,550,496 times
I donate them to the library.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 4,136,171 times
I buy & give away at our yearly fall festival book sale. If I really love a book I keep it but I usually like to share. We also have a 'share' bookcase in my building so I put them there.

One book about cooking on a budget I was so torn but a friends daughter was just starting out & having trouble with budget shopping/cooking so I gave it to her. I'll probably buy it again for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or