U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

28,904 posts, read 48,376,033 times

Advertisements

Depends.

If it is one that I know I'm going to read again and again, I keep. Otherwise? Well, we're about to be empty nesters in the next couple of years. So we'll likely downsize.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,759,254 times
It depends.

If I think I might want to read it again, I keep it. If I think I might want to use it as reference at some point (we're talking non-fiction here) I keep it.

Otherwise, I dispose of it somehow.

They're books - they serve either the purpose of entertainment or information. They're not trophies.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM

24,638 posts, read 32,276,528 times
I had a big surprise as I got older. Authors become unavailable as time goes by. I am a huge fan of Thomas B Costain. I have several books that I saved to read again later. But now I can not buy additional books. He is not in libraries any more even though he was an extremely popular writer.

So now I carefully keep books that I really love and I keep collections of books by my favorite authors, because who know if I could ever replace them decades later.

That's really true of cookbooks. If you have a good one hang onto it because it could easily go out of print, never to be able to replace it.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM

26,464 posts, read 17,086,081 times
If I own a book I really like, then I will lend it out. I love finding other readers who might like certain books.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM

26,588 posts, read 30,879,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had a big surprise as I got older. Authors become unavailable as time goes by. I am a huge fan of Thomas B Costain. I have several books that I saved to read again later. But now I can not buy additional books. He is not in libraries any more even though he was an extremely popular writer.

So now I carefully keep books that I really love and I keep collections of books by my favorite authors, because who know if I could ever replace them decades later.

That's really true of cookbooks. If you have a good one hang onto it because it could easily go out of print, never to be able to replace it.
Some may be free (though with advertising) e-books:

read free chap 1 - The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain online

For purchase:

https://www.overdrive.com/creators/5...omas-b-costain

You can also search Google Books for Costain. Some titles are available as e-books. Others are in print but expensive. Also search the "find in a library" option.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,702,042 times
I keep favorites, especially if something has really resonated with me. I sell the ones I don't care for to used bookstores.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM

22,115 posts, read 13,448,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I have a few authors whose work I can't get any more.

For one of them, I happened to find a facebook group devoted to her work, and due to several years worth of persuasion by some devoted fans, the family agreed to republish all of her books. First on Kindle (which is my preference anyway) but they were popular enough they are also releasing physical books. So you might want to see if there are any fan groups - even before they were able to get the books republished, people in the group sold and lent books to each other, so that could be a potential source to find some you want to read.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:26 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,702,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have a few authors whose work I can't get any more.

For one of them, I happened to find a facebook group devoted to her work, and due to several years worth of persuasion by some devoted fans, the family agreed to republish all of her books. First on Kindle (which is my preference anyway) but they were popular enough they are also releasing physical books. So you might want to see if there are any fan groups - even before they were able to get the books republished, people in the group sold and lent books to each other, so that could be a potential source to find some you want to read.
That's wonderful. They can republish some oldies but goodies.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 PM

11,098 posts, read 10,238,371 times
I read all kinds of books - and if I only finished books I "love," then I wouldn't have read very much. I keep books that I think I will want to re-read, either because they move me, or have brilliant writing, or are informationally interesting. I sell as many as I can. And I leave for others the ones I can't sell.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:41 PM

20,872 posts, read 5,276,012 times
I keep them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or