U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 598,843 times

Advertisements

Keep - books in a series by the same author
Keep - books really enjoyed
Keep - collectibles, childhood favorites, bindings look cool on the shelf
Give - books didn't really enjoy & wouldn't buy more from the same author
Give - non fiction books that no longer apply to my life or circumstances
Give - books that became outdated for whatever reason

Give - when more room for more books is needed - see Keep pile above!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 PM

1,010 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslrac View Post
I usually don't buy books new, except when buying "regional" books when traveling. I buy at book sales, and get books from friends and coworkers. If those people want them back, I give them back. Most have the attitude of "pass them on". So I put them in a little free library so there can enjoy.
Same here. Visit libraries - lucky to live in an area where there are lots of libraries that sell donated books very cheap to raise extra funds for the library & have big sales a couple times a year. One library gets so many donations that twice a week they pick a bunch and put out in free racks. Those I take and usually those I donate back to that library when I'm done along with other books I want to get rid of. Or if I really want a title - I will buy used online - ebay, betterworldbooks, so forth. Rarely will I pay more than a few bucks for a book and if I pay $10 - its a book I really wanted to read. Also I get books from freecycle and I'll donate back on freecycle. Same things with magazines.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM

522 posts, read 600,574 times
I keep most of my books and donate what I have read or have duplicates of to Epilepsy Foundation they come and pick them up so its a win win situation.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:19 PM

772 posts, read 434,642 times
The most recent purchase for me is a Coffee-Table book which I intend to keep because it's fun to page through once in awhile. My reasoning is that a Coffee-Table book is not only a book but also an Art object, which is why I intend to keep it. Do any of you other bibliophiles keep Coffee-Table books?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 AM

14,498 posts, read 20,143,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
The most recent purchase for me is a Coffee-Table book which I intend to keep because it's fun to page through once in awhile. My reasoning is that a Coffee-Table book is not only a book but also an Art object, which is why I intend to keep it. Do any of you other bibliophiles keep Coffee-Table books?

This is funny about coffee table books . My grandmother used to keep this huge family bible on her coffee table and she called it her coffee table book . that thing was huge I could barely lift it . But you using the term coffee table book brought back that memory so thank you .

Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,286,946 times
Keep those I'd like to read again or that are reference books, give away some novels...

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

58,119 posts, read 4,302,403 times
I mostly download to my kindle, so it is not an issue. I do donate books to Godwill, when I have them.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM

14,188 posts, read 14,861,914 times
I give books away a lot, and then find myself wishing I hadn't. Right now, I'm on book buying lockdown. i'm only allowed to get those cheap 99-cent digital ones on Amazon or go to the library. I've got like 10 books checked out and another 4 on hold.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 AM

766 posts, read 323,174 times
I built my own box with two shelves, making three areas for fiction/non-fiction and poetry.... there is a plastic door w/latch, i put it on an old mailbox post and that's my version of the Neighborhood "LITTLE FREE LIBRARY"..... i never ever put a sign on it saying "take one/leave one", but 9 times outta 10 people will either return it or leave one of their own.... people from about 10-12 blocks around regularly use it.... it got so popular i made a smaller version for the kiddies and when they get old and too worn out, i donate them to my local clinic which always needs kids toys and books.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM

26,727 posts, read 30,941,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
I built my own box with two shelves, making three areas for fiction/non-fiction and poetry.... there is a plastic door w/latch, i put it on an old mailbox post and that's my version of the Neighborhood "LITTLE FREE LIBRARY"..... i never ever put a sign on it saying "take one/leave one", but 9 times outta 10 people will either return it or leave one of their own.... people from about 10-12 blocks around regularly use it.... it got so popular i made a smaller version for the kiddies and when they get old and too worn out, i donate them to my local clinic which always needs kids toys and books.
That's a wonderful idea.

However, just a gentle suggestion please. If they are "too worn out", please do not donate them. I am sure your local clinic appreciates them, but not if they are falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or