Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of Caleb Carr and I really liked "The Devil in the White City".

I really enjoy thriller mysteries set at the turn of the last century.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Default Bump!

bump!

I don't read historical fiction but I know lots of others do and they may have missed this the first time around! Anyone?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Books by Leon Uris and James Michener.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Maybe no answers because your area is so narrow. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but when I saw your title line, I was about to mention Gone With the Wind and Shogun, but neither fit your narrow category.

Or you could just read works written around the turn of the last century.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
How was that Devil in a White City? Is it more like a history book or a novel? Sounds very interesting from what I have heard.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Well, Devil in the White City isn't fiction and I've never read Caleb Carr so I can't really recommend anything similar. Perhaps something on Jack the Ripper? That was near the turn of the century and would definitely be a thriller. "The Yard" by Alex Grecian was quite popular and there's a sequel to it. Also, Charles Todd writes WWI murder mystery/thrillers.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
The Blackest Bird is one that was suggested on this forum- it's really good background of the era in NYC and NJ (and Baltimore with Edgar Allen Poe woven throughout. I don't remember it all that well (not the best memory lately) but I remember thinking it was extremely well written and also provided some nice historical background.

Amazon.com: The Blackest Bird: A Novel of Murder in Nineteenth-Century New York eBook: Joel Rose: Kindle Store

Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
The author of Devil in the White City also wrote In the Garden of Beasts, set in Berlin prior to WWII.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Ooops, after writing the below saw you just wanted literary mysteries set at the turn of the 20th c. So from the below, read Ragtime, I guess, though it isn't a genre mystery. I'll go ahead and post the below, but will try again for you later.

Historical fiction is my favorite genre, but I read so much I'm having a hard time thinking of something specific. Hmmmm - a quick look at my bookshelves (I only keep books that I LOVE):

The Living by Annie Dillard
The Freshour Cylinders by Speer Morgan
Wild Life by Molly Gloss
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Possession by A.S. Byatt
The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton by Jane Smiley
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss
Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
A Free Man of Color by Barbara Hambly
Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
Ragtime E.L. Doctorow

and it goes without saying, any and all other books written by the same authors.

anything at all by Louise Erdrich - some are very historic while others mix modern/historic. I own ALL of her books. Maybe have a special love for The Master Butcher's Singing Club.

I have Dark Matter by Phillip Kerr waiting to be read, great reviews but I haven't read it yet.

If you haven't yet discovered the Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley, you're in for a treat. Set in the 1950s, so not super historic, but still . . .

The Victorian period William Monk mysteries by Anne Perry . . .

The feudal Japan mysteries by Laura Joh Rowland

There are zillions more, of course, these are just what are out on my bookshelves now.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

85 posts, read 143,223 times
I'm also a lover of historical fiction. If you like historical fiction thrillers/mysteries, you really have to check out C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series! Set during the time of Henry VIII's reign. I loved all 5!

Dissolution
Dark Fire
Soverign
Revelation
Heartstone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books