U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 PM

787 posts, read 444,957 times

Advertisements

After reading a book, do you keep it or give it away? In my case, if I read the entirety of the book, that means I love the book, so I keep it.
Or are you half and half? In other words, do you give away some and keep some? And what determines the differentiation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:50 PM

441 posts, read 323,702 times
I only buy books that I can't find in the library. If I love it, I keep it. If I don't, I'll donate it to the library.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:35 PM

10,041 posts, read 12,084,497 times
I always keep the books that I read. If a book is worth reading, it's worth buying and keeping. I only use a library if there's no other practical way to obtain a book. Show me the home of an intellectual; I'll show you a library.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM

28,132 posts, read 31,583,206 times
Our house is full of books. I stopped buying new ones because of the expense (I read a lot of popular fiction) and use the library except for a few favorite authors - some I re-read. We have a great library which allows you to ask for new books and get on a wait list for them. Just what I have read in the last week would have cost about $100 as new hard covers. Then there is the issue of shelf space, which is full.

DH still buys them. He keeps some and gives away some. He has shelves full at his office.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:25 PM

9,238 posts, read 20,089,113 times
I keep all my books. The only ones I've gotten rid of were books other people gave me as gifts, or books I was forced to read in college or grad school.

I can't stand lending or borrowing books. I'd rather just buy someone a book instead of lending it to them (I don't like that empty spot on the bookshelf!) I don't "do" libraries (except book sales at libraries).

To me, books are a committed relationship. I re-read books I've already read, like visiting old friends.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:40 PM

25,220 posts, read 33,132,889 times
I keep my favorite authors. I keep ccok books, research books, and how to books. I pass along books to friends and I donate books to the library book sale.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,797,135 times
I used to keep all the books I read, but now I usually pass them on, unless it's some sort of "how-to" book that I know I'll want to return to. I figure I can always find the book again at the library or buy it somewhere if I want to read it again.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:47 PM

16,719 posts, read 16,067,177 times
I used to keep every book I ever had, but when my in-laws moved in with us, I had to get rid of them all to make space. I donated them, and now when I buy a book, I pass it on.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:09 PM

9,154 posts, read 9,253,323 times
I'm old now. I have too many books, so I gave a lot away. And I read most new books in Kindle format.

I will never stand in line at a used bookstore and deal with the dismissive arrogance of book assessors. There was one guy at Second Story Books in DC who would pick a particularly undesirable book (to him) out of the box or bag in which it arrived, waxing stentorian as he asked "This???" and handle the book with index finger and thumb, as if it were a particularly smelly turd. This happened to me once, with Donna Tartt's The Secret History, and I said "No, not this." I took back my bag of books and left them on a bench in Dupont Circle. I only give books away now.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM

22,400 posts, read 13,792,156 times
I gave away about half my books, which leaves me with about 10 bookcases worth. I am a re-reader but less now than I used to because I find it much more comfortable to read on the Kindle. I have bad eyesight and being able to enlarge the print plus have the built in lighting makes a huge difference.

I borrow whatever I can from the library but even when I buy, no worries about clutter so I don't have to give any books away. And I'm slowly replacing some of the physical books I have, when I can find them in an electronic version, so that I can enjoy re-reading them.

I know what when I move out of my current house, I will be downsizing, so my goal is to continue to pare down my book collection in order to make the inevitable less painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or