U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,839,966 times

Advertisements

Self-help books help the authors get your money.

And that's about the extent of the 'help' they provide, with very rare exceptions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 01:49 PM

17,595 posts, read 10,408,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I asked a worker at the Barnes and Noble (Caucasian woman in her 60s), for some help finding books and she pretty much said the same thing. I'm paraphrasing but she said I skip "Think and Grow Rich" since it's a self help book which doesn't really offer anything. She said instead I should look into the other books I had in mind, "How to Make Money in Stocks" and "The Intelligent Investor."
She is wrong. Do you take advice from $10/hour people, or do you do your own work?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:21 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,900,339 times
I have read many self help book and if I get 10% out of those book, I am happy. It depends on ur situation and content of book to see if it speaks to you. Yes they do repeat themselves thats why I dont read much no a days. But sometimes even after hearing the same msg over n over again, suddenly it sticks with us because of the way it was presented to us. Its like diet or workout class. We all know what's good and what we need to do but some times the way a plan is laid out works for us.

Recently I was reading the book Lean In and I was flying thru chapter as most of the content didn't apply to me until I hit a chapter about mentoring & women giving up to raise family before they even have a family. Basic info but it had exactly what I needed to hear at this time

Old 11-27-2016, 11:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 883,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I asked a worker at the Barnes and Noble (Caucasian woman in her 60s), for some help finding books and she pretty much said the same thing. I'm paraphrasing but she said I skip "Think and Grow Rich" since it's a self help book which doesn't really offer anything. She said instead I should look into the other books I had in mind, "How to Make Money in Stocks" and "The Intelligent Investor."
Think and grow rich is legitimate I think. I'm in the process of audio book now. You don't need to buy it, the full audio book is here:

https://youtu.be/h9oqoJWBZ2g

This is a video explanation straight from Hill himself which is only 2 hours long:

https://youtu.be/Uhmq-TvDvIo

It seems the most legitimate self help book I've tried. Well my parents gave me "The power of positive thinking" by Norman Vincent Peal and I could never make it all the way through.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,149,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
When I used to work at Borders, in our store we called self-help the woo-woo section. Take that as you will.
That explains why they were working at Borders instead of at a $250K per year sales job!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 PM

4,777 posts, read 6,503,751 times
They have to be broad enough to cover pretty much everyone, which makes most of the info generic and obvious.

I read '4 hour work week' a year or two ago. Could have been one sentence long.. "Create an internet business out of thin air, and hire an online personal assistant from India."... That's the whole book.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 PM

19,292 posts, read 17,494,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I may be the only female who wasn't inspired by "Eat, Pray, Love."
I'm with you; I couldn't stand that book.

I found The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo very interesting. I have no doubt that following the advice she gives in her book would lead to dramatic change....for someone else. The problem is, I know that I'll never get around to gathering together everything of one type (e.g. books, clothing, pictures, etc), ONE category at a time, before following the rest of her steps.

So I keep it on top of one of our bookshelves and occasionally glance at the title for inspiration.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM

19,135 posts, read 58,179,361 times
A long time ago, I took the Dale Carnegie course. Some people benefited greatly, others did not. There were a couple of chapters and sessions that I found helpful, and I must note that the experiences of just reading vs. taking the course and reading are different.

Making a blanket judgment about the entire genre of self-help books, or anything else, is indicative to me of the shallow lazy thinking and sloppy mental borders that are common today. Of course there are lots of books that are crap. My goto example in that area is "The One Minute Manager" which could have been read in about one minute and had about that much information in it. However, there are others, like "Feeling Good" by Burns, that pack in more potential for insight than most people would ever get out of therapy for depression.

Stating the the entire genre is worthless is akin to reading a couple of penny dreadfuls and proclaiming that all fiction is crap. One of the courses that used to be taught in school was on how to study, or how to read a book. Armed with basic knowledge of critical thinking, it is fairly easy to separate the wheat from the chaff in a bookstore by reading a few pages.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM

995 posts, read 960,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That explains why they were working at Borders instead of at a $250K per year sales job!
I worked at Borders because I'm a voracious reader and a bookseller, always have been and always will be. The pay wasn't great, but the benefits were sweet. I could borrow anything in the store and I received a 30% discount. Met a lot of great people. I loved my job...not many people can say that.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,744,448 times
They seem like empty efforts to make money for the author. Anyone see that movie Little Miss Sunshine? The dad was trying to publish this type of book. It's an industry probably driven by the personality of the author more than anything he writes or says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or