U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 PM

2,644 posts, read 1,747,896 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the many replies and insights. I hadn't heard of freecycle and will have to check that out.

Update: the book in question is currently under a small, tabletop electric fan. It's location raises the fan's air flow to a slightly higher elevation which is helpful. You could say it's blowing cool air instead of hot air. Best use for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM

522 posts, read 606,448 times
I donate them when I don't want them anymore to an organization that's nonprofit.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,187,838 times
Yes, it is hard for me to throw away most any book. I only throw away books that are damaged or well-worn. Donating my old books is the easiest way to clear them out. I dislike throwing away things that someone else may want to have, especially books.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:15 PM

35,776 posts, read 35,566,392 times
Political books are the ones that get dated the fastest so I don't have a problem with discarding them after a few years.

I belong to a book group and we vote on the nonfiction we read. I don't have a problem with getting rid of a lot of them, either -- some right after the discussion is over.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:39 PM

111 posts, read 60,916 times
quoting PegE's post #1:
Quote:
I found an old book I'd forgotten about having. I can't believe I bought it so maybe it was a gift. It's a political book I don't agree with and don't like the author. I don't want to sell it to the used bookstore I usually take books I don't want to because I don't want to spread the propaganda in it. But I am loathe to throw it away. I can't so far anyway because it's a book. There's something sacred about a book. Do you ever have trouble ridding yourself of books you don't really want? I can't be the only one.
Interesting you should state that you feel books are 'sacred'. As much of a materialist I am there never seems an issue with tossing out items that I dislike for whatever reason. Some people are pack-rats, holding on to everything. I understand though that as a collector of anything one would feel hesitation to let go of something in their collection.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 PM

3,183 posts, read 6,824,354 times
So, it must have been hard for somebody to throw away a book because my daughter picked up a hard-back copy of John Grisham's The Confession at the marina at our lake house. They have a free "borrow one, loan one" shelf for folks at the lake to share books.

Pages #220 to 290 were missing! Completely missing - as in it was incorrectly printed and bound. Up to page 220, you could see evidence of a previous reader, so someone donated this book knowing it had a 70 page gap!

That is a book that needed to be tossed!

Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 PM

29,042 posts, read 46,884,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Retired librarian here. No, I'd throw away a hateful book, or figure out a clever way to recycle it.
Non-retired librarian here, and I agree. In fact, I've been doing "book craft" programs a few times yearly, where we make jewelry and other items out of old/damaged books... people always cringe at first, but quickly get over it once they see the transformation!

And for the love of all that's holy, PLEASE don't donate nasty books to the library - and I'm referring to condition, not content, since we don't care much about the latter. But if your old books are torn, moldy, covered in schmutz, etc, just save us the trouble and toss it in the recycling bin. Honestly, that's what we're going to do with it anyway. We're happy to take your decent-condition books, which will either be sold through Friends of the Library (to support programming), donated to charitable causes, or in rare cases, added to the current collection.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 PM

6,223 posts, read 2,925,647 times
Other than political books - which are fantastic to throw away (or mutilate, burn, etc.) - I would never throw out any other type of book. I try to sell, trade, or donate them. I once "found" a Bill O'Reilly book up in a tree, until rain and gravity brought it down.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 PM

10,342 posts, read 23,043,477 times
I could never throw a book away. That would be blasphemy.
I donate them to charities and thrift stores. I am also known to rescue books put out to the trash and drop them off at thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or