U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,090,026 times

Advertisements

I didnt see a thread about this site but thought I would throw it out there.

BookMooch: exchange books and trade them, like a book swap or book barter is a book trading website where you form a list of books you want to read and books you are willing to part with. You get 1/10th of a point for posting books and 1 full point for giving someone your book.

Its a great way to get books for only the cost of shipping. I have gotten about 15-20 books in the last few months using this site.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 AM

10,344 posts, read 23,067,334 times
Sounds alot like Paperbackswap.com.
I think i will check it out. I have a big pile of books getting bigger, balancing on the bookcase..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM

163 posts, read 356,507 times
Default Bookmooch and swaptree

I just signed up for this site. does anyone know a lot about this site. I've posted some books, but havn't gotten any responses . I'm also gonna sign up for an account with swaptree.com. Does anyone have any good experiences with that site?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM

410 posts, read 1,009,702 times
Default Bookmooch is Great!

I've been a member of bookmooch for a couple of years now. I am a bigtime bookworm and librarian as well and I think this is one of the best, most useful and convenient websites out there, at least for me anyway. I've given and received over 100 books and I have to say I have not had a negative experience yet. You do have the occasional book lost in the mail or you mooch one from someone only to find out it has been misplaced or lost or something like that but it is really no big deal. I've had this happen only 4 or 5 times. I would venture to say that about 50% of the books I need, I can find on bookmooch. I have added some great hardback books to my library (some of them rare and out of print or first editions) and when I just want to read something and not keep it, I just mooch a paperback copy and when I'm finished, I add it to my inventory. I keep all of my inventory in a box in a closet, so I know where they are. Shipping is not a problem, I generally use media rate. When someone mooches from me, I just grab the book, drop it in a (recycled) envelope, and take it to the PO w/in a few days. When I have patrons at my library (it's a school) request a book, often I will mooch it for them if we don't have it and just give it to them or sometimes I add it to the collection. I also use it to find books on tape for my blind friend, and just have them sent straight to friend's address.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks a lot. I still havn't had any responses to the books I've posted, but I'm going to post some more. Most of the books I have are mystery and thrillers. James Patterson, Harlan Coban, Dean Koontz, Tami Hoag and so on.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,090,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
Thanks a lot. I still havn't had any responses to the books I've posted, but I'm going to post some more. Most of the books I have are mystery and thrillers. James Patterson, Harlan Coban, Dean Koontz, Tami Hoag and so on.

The thing with those types of books is that lots of other people have them are there are likely 50 other people with the same books on there so someone choosing to mooch from you is going to be luck of the draw and being that you have no feedback, they may not choose you.

What I do is go to the library when they are giving old books away and grab some of those and put them up there. Many times they are less popular books that no one else has so in their inventory so they get nabbed up pretty quickly.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 AM

266 posts, read 804,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The thing with those types of books is that lots of other people have them are there are likely 50 other people with the same books on there so someone choosing to mooch from you is going to be luck of the draw and being that you have no feedback, they may not choose you.

What I do is go to the library when they are giving old books away and grab some of those and put them up there. Many times they are less popular books that no one else has so in their inventory so they get nabbed up pretty quickly.
This seems like an awesome website and i had no idea one even existed!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

OOO, that's a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or