Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

I really like her books, and have read almost all of them. They are never THE best books, but very reliable and entertaining. What other author that's available at good book stores should I try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Michael Connelly's two series, the Harry Bosch (cop/mystery) and the Mickey Haller (lawyer/mystery) novels.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
My favorite mystery series of all time are Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books, which nightlysparrow has already mentioned.

I liked Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series back in the 1990s. In fact, I'm going to look them over once more. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sara Paretsky's Novels | Author Sara Paretsky

Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My favorite mystery series of all time are Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books, which nightlysparrow has already mentioned.

I liked Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series back in the 1990s. In fact, I'm going to look them over once more. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sara Paretsky's Novels | Author Sara Paretsky
Always liked Sara Paretsky.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Always liked Sara Paretsky.
I just picked up one of hers from the freebie shelf at my library! This one is Tunnel Vision. I think I have not ever read her.

But this is off topic for the thread. I really do like Sue Grafton and have read everything she's ever written.

She's reliable in that one knows which ever title is chosen, it will be a good read. For me, it is important to know that I will not run into sleaze or crassness: I just do not want to fill my mind and heart with cheap stuff.

Last edited by Macrina; 01-29-2017 at 01:20 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 05:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I really like her books, and have read almost all of them. They are never THE best books, but very reliable and entertaining. What other author that's available at good book stores should I try?
I just found the Books section, this is my first post.

Ah, Sue Grafton. I started reading her books almost 25 years ago! Started with "H is for Homicide" then went back and read everything published up to date in her Alphabet series, and began reading each new one as they came out.

Now up to V, I kinda forgot about Grafton, see I need to read W and X. For years I was wondering how she was going to handle "X is for ....." Duh, never saw that title coming! "X" isn't for anything!

You got it exactly right, "never the best books, but very reliable and entertaining." At this time I'd rate them as something to read when you run out of ideas. I'll put them on my list for when I run out of hot titles.

Sue has been writing for a long time, she's about 76. "A is for Alibi" came out in 1982. According to Wikipedia Grafton says the series finale will be titled "Z is for Zero." It's interesting to note that she has refused to sell the film and TV rights because of her bad experiences writing screenplays (15 years!), and has threatened to haunt her children if THEY ever sell the film/TV rights!

Y is scheduled to be published this year (2017). She's been publishing Alphabet series book about every other year so it's easy to predict that "Z is for Zero" will be published probably in 2019. She'll be maybe almost 80 by then. I suspect she will retire after Z is published.

So there are only two mysteries left... What will Y stand for? And will Kinsey ever get a cellphone? Fans know Grafton's books lag way behind the present year. The way it looks, Z will be set in a year that predates the invention of the cellphone.

Aspiring authors such as myself may be interested in reading "Writing Mysteries" (MWA Handbook) edited by Sue Grafton.

I recommend reading the Wikipedia article: Sue Grafton

The Wikipedia article mentions Grafton was "fascinated by mysteries that had related titles, including those by John D. MacDonald, whose titles referenced colors..." John D. MacDonald is one of MY favorite authors (sadly, long since passed away) and if you like hard boiled mysteries, I recommend his.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 PM

By the way, just confirmed (Wikipedia) that Santa Teresa is really Santa Barbara. Myself an Angelino, I've spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara and recognized many of the locations and street names. Mind you, I began reading Grafton before the public had access to the Internet (called Arpanet back then).

It would be interesting to know why Grafton chose to fictionalize her real Santa Barbara (her adopted city) and call it Santa Teresa.

I guess that's as much a mystery as why Grafton chose to set her Alphabet novels in a past era rather than the present. Like why Kiinsey won't ever live to get her first cellphone or an Internet connection. Perhaps it's just an ambiance or nostalgia Grafton likes.

Gotta admit there is a lot to dislike about modern times...

Old 02-14-2017, 05:49 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It would be interesting to know why Grafton chose to fictionalize her real Santa Barbara (her adopted city) and call it Santa Teresa.
In 'Alphabet' Mysteries, 'S' Is Really For Santa Barbara : NPR

There's another thread here about Grafton'a series: //www.city-data.com/forum/books...fton-done.html

Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 AM

CA4Now thanks for the referral. Hadn't read it but topic concluded same as I did, making the conjecture that Grafton has stated the series will end with "Z is for Zero," and that Grafton will be 80-ish by then. After her huge body of work I suspect she may wish to end her days basking and enjoying her family and perhaps traveling. Many people that age decide to see the world they missed due to careers and lack of money.

She must have a heck of a bad experience in the screenplay industry to refuse to sell the movie/TV rights. I have no idea what the rights are worth, but surely in the multi-millions. All I can say is that if I were her I would probably feel the same way about it, but being me I'd sell the rights with the condition that the books are the way they are and the author refuses to become involved in the production in any way. -- Just the author's name in the credits and that's it!

It would have been interesting to see what films or TV series the Alphabets would have become. My experience is that books made into movies become horrible travesties of the original books. Which is why I spend 100x the time reading compared to watching movies. God forbid that I'd watch a movie from a book I already read.

I've done that so that's how I know. "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" for example. Book fantastic! The movie? Oh the horror! The horror! Movies and TV can never capture the complexity of novels. They rip out the guts of the novel and replace it with CGI special effects. My CGI imagination is far, far better than any movie producer's film CGI.

Grafton made the right decision, maybe for a different reason than I would have. Once control is sold her works would have been butchered. I'm sure Grafton has quite enough money to be rich for the rest of her life, and pass on her wealth to her children.

ETA:

Oh I see the reason for Santa Teresa now. Gives her free hand to fictionalize details of Santa Barbara, move streets, etc., while relieving any who would criticize her for getting the details wrong. As I've said I've spent a fair amount of time in SB but I've never lived there. I've noticed a few oddities that didn't mesh, but I recognized many streets, landmarks and areas I've been to.

Somebody should find Kinsey's office, rent it as a memorial, and put a plaque on the door! Unfortunately I'm almost certain there would be no such office if I drove there to try and find it.

Last edited by Lovehound; 02-14-2017 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
I guess that's as much a mystery as why Grafton chose to set her Alphabet novels in a past era rather than the present. Like why Kiinsey won't ever live to get her first cellphone or an Internet connection. Perhaps it's just an ambiance or nostalgia Grafton likes.

Gotta admit there is a lot to dislike about modern times...
Actually, I don't think this was a conscious decision -- it happened because if Grafton let Kinsey "age" along with the "real" calendar, she'd be, what, in her late 60s now? Kinsey started out in the "present day" in A Is for Alibi but has gotten further and further "behind" the calendar because Grafton chose to let her age only a few months (or thereabouts) per book.

I've read a couple of reviews by (presumably) young people who are annoyed that Kinsey doesn't have things like a cell phone. I find such REVIEWS annoying!

I love the series -- it is indeed "reliable" as a couple of you have said. If I am ever bored and looking for something to read, I know I can go back to one of the books in the series and enjoy it all over again.

Quote:
Somebody should find Kinsey's office, rent it as a memorial, and put a plaque on the door! Unfortunately I'm almost certain there would be no such office if I drove there to try and find it.
I would love to see Kinsey's HOUSE! She was into "tiny houses" long before they became a "thing"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books