Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Karen, you are so right! Of course that's why Kinsey never got a cellphone. It's not unusual at all for series to pick up mere weeks (in novel time) after the previous book ended. You are totally correct in that being the reason the novels lagged behind real time.

It evidently takes Grafton an average 1+ years (closer to 2) to write a single novel. 26 novels = a geriatric Kinsey. Chasing criminals in her walker? I think not!

And how could I forget her cute house! I'd love to see the guest house both before it was exploded, and after it was rebuilt! Alas the only way you can visit Kinsey's house is through the novels.

Actually Grafton described Kinsey's office is rather plain, virtually devoid of anything not required: a phone, a file cabinet, a desk. Kinsey spent little time there except typing up her case notes and reports.

As far as reviews, I don't read them. I respect people who write novels far more than people who write reviews. I'm reminded of the quote sometimes attributed to Truman Capote: "That's not writing. That's typing!"

I'll read the book and mentally write my own review. If I quit by about page 100 or the first couple chapters, no stars for them! I won't finish books if they don't meet what most might rate 4-5 stars. Now that I think of it I'd rate the Alphabet about a 4 stars more or less. I never read average books, and evidently have pretty good luck in sniffing out the bad ones before I start reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:40 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I really like her books, and have read almost all of them. They are never THE best books, but very reliable and entertaining. What other author that's available at good book stores should I try?
I enjoy the A-Z books but she's really mindless reading. I got tired of Kinsey trimming her hair with nail clippers along about B is for Burglar.

If you like crime, THE BEST BOOKS are the Aloysius Pendergast books by Prescott and Child. I'm totally in love with Aloysius. There is no better. And there's no real need to read them in order. The first one I read was Still Life with Crows. It was so disturbing I occasionally had to put the thing down and walk around the house, taking deep breaths. I was hooked! And if you really want gut-wrenching evil, try The Cabinet of Curiosities. Oh my, oh my, oh my!!!!! You get to know the characters that weave their way through the stories. I would say start close to the beginning, but it's not necessary to read them in order. I'll admit the more recent Pendergast books have lost their punch. Even in the non-Pendergast Preston & Child books, some of the characters appear. Mime is probably my second favorite character, and he's very rarely seen. But he packs a big punch when he does.

Oh my, oh my, oh my!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I really like her books, and have read almost all of them. They are never THE best books, but very reliable and entertaining. What other author that's available at good book stores should I try?
My favorite series of all time is the Earth's Children by Jean Auel. http://www.jeanauel.com/books.php

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I enjoy the A-Z books but she's really mindless reading. I got tired of Kinsey trimming her hair with nail clippers along about B is for Burglar.
Yet you still read them.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Actually, I don't think this was a conscious decision -- it happened because if Grafton let Kinsey "age" along with the "real" calendar, she'd be, what, in her late 60s now? Kinsey started out in the "present day" in A Is for Alibi but has gotten further and further "behind" the calendar because Grafton chose to let her age only a few months (or thereabouts) per book.

I've read a couple of reviews by (presumably) young people who are annoyed that Kinsey doesn't have things like a cell phone. I find such REVIEWS annoying!

I love the series -- it is indeed "reliable" as a couple of you have said. If I am ever bored and looking for something to read, I know I can go back to one of the books in the series and enjoy it all over again.

I would love to see Kinsey's HOUSE! She was into "tiny houses" long before they became a "thing"!
I actually like the fact that her books are set in the 80s. That's when I grew up, and it's fun to remember using phone booths and cross-reference books to skiptrace.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I actually like the fact that her books are set in the 80s. That's when I grew up, and it's fun to remember using phone booths and cross-reference books to skiptrace.
I agree, and meant to mention that too: the nostalgia aspect of Kinsey's era.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Grafton...must have a heck of a bad experience in the screenplay industry to refuse to sell the movie/TV rights. All I can say is that if I were her I would probably feel the same way about it, but being me I'd sell the rights with the condition that the books are the way they are and the author refuses to become involved in the production in any way. -- My experience is that books made into movies become horrible travesties of the original books.
Could not agree more. I felt the same about Dragon Tattoo. My all time favorite crime writer, Michael Connelly, had some of his Harry Bosch novels turned into an Amazon TV series that apparently had good reviews; however, I could never bring myself to watch it.

I can't imagine what Hollywood would have done with Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta (at one time, Angelina Jolie was set to play her character). I vaguely recall that the film "V. I. Warshawski," the character from Sara Paretsky's detective novels, bombed at the box office years ago, and Kathleen Turner was a big star back then.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

The one thing I meant to say, and this may be my final word:

At least you don't have to Google series reading order in Grafton's Alphabet series!!!

I have so many books to read that I may not get to W, X and Y until Z is released. But I have a good feeling that I'll have at least four more visits with Kinsey waiting for me one day, and I never had a doubt that I would stick it out until the end! -- In a way Z is for Zero will be an interesting read because it is traditional for an author to wrap up a series, resolve any unresolved issues, and tie a ribbon on it to send off the author's fans with a treat!

I have an idea what one resolution will be but my lips are sealed. I never post spoilers, even though my idea is just a potential spoiler.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
I've been thinking about starting all over, they are such reliably good reading. She makes me really care about Kinsey, and how it all turns out.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
She makes me really care about Kinsey...
I think you put your finger on the essential ingredient in Grafton's books that makes people continue reading them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books