Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think she honestly loved it so much that she didn't understand why the other members didn't like it. She was hoping we would be different.
I think it's probably a better book for people who rarely read. It's a very cliche, trite, common story that most people have read a hundred times before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I think it's probably a better book for people who rarely read. It's a very cliche, trite, common story that most people have read a hundred times before.

I know a lot of people who read a lot who liked Ove….and again many who did not like Ove, lol. I liked the grumpy old man….but it is hard for me to think he "was not" an old man, lol. Some common stories can be good if we like the new characters.

I couldn't finish Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and it got high ratings.

Sometimes we just like a character more than others.

When I rate/review a book it depends on what I have read just before it. My past 3 books I rated 5 stars because I really liked them a lot but after reading the last one which blew the other two away I should have rated the first two 4 stars.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I know a lot of people who read a lot who liked Ove….and again many who did not like Ove, lol. I liked the grumpy old man….but it is hard for me to think he "was not" an old man, lol. Some common stories can be good if we like the new characters.
Yeah right off the bat, he wasn't a grumpy old man or curmudgeon. He was in his 50s. So he was just a garden variety jerk.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah right off the bat, he wasn't a grumpy old man or curmudgeon. He was in his 50s. So he was just a garden variety jerk.

Ha, ha...yeah if I acted like him I would be a jerk. Guess I gotta wait until I'm 80. I think I was OK with him "because" I felt like he was 80

Old 04-04-2017, 03:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
One problem for me was all the f-bombs really early in the book.

Now, I am not normally one to take offense at language. I read plenty that has the f-bomb. But because Ove was described as so "funny" and "poignant" and "heart-warming" I was not expecting so many f-bombs thrown in there.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Onboard with the Dune haters. I read pretty much every Sci Fi and Fantasy book I could get my hands on and loved all of them. I even liked the L Ron Hubard books.

But Dune? No way. I could not get through it. Could not make sense of it. Ended up trying to read it one paragraph at a time. That did not make it better. I got some sort of cliffs notes or summary of some kind. I could not understand how they got the story they were relating in the notes from the book I held in my hand. Drugs were readily available in the 1970s/1980s. Maybe I should have tried that. However I even liked the movie Heavy Metal without being stoned. Not sure anything would have helped with Dune.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Onboard with the Dune haters. I read pretty much every Sci Fi and Fantasy book I could get my hands on and loved all of them. I even liked the L Ron Hubard books.

But Dune? No way. I could not get through it. Could not make sense of it. Ended up trying to read it one paragraph at a time. That did not make it better. I got some sort of cliffs notes or summary of some kind. I could not understand how they got the story they were relating in the notes from the book I held in my hand. Drugs were readily available in the 1970s/1980s. Maybe I should have tried that. However I even liked the movie Heavy Metal without being stoned. Not sure anything would have helped with Dune.
I never read the book but I fell asleep watching it at the movie theater.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I never read the book but I fell asleep watching it at the movie theater.
I fell asleep 5 pages into the book 5 minutes into the movie.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Anything by Toni Morrison. Beloved was unreadable.

Most overrated book ever published: The Bridges of Madison County. God, what tripe.
The rest of Waller's books were crap, too.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I've tried about three or four times and could never complete the first chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books