U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM

11,446 posts, read 10,461,768 times

Advertisements

Kind of a nice story that was actually on the front page.

I really liked "Dreams from My Father."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/b...ooks.html?_r=0
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 40,048 times
Barbara Bush: A Memoir, by Barbara Bush. she may not have been the actual president but as First Lady, Second Lady and the Mother of a President, her story is fascinating.

The section where she talks about the loss of her little girl is heartbreaking.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,843,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I really liked "Dreams from My Father."
I have not read that, though it is notable for being a book written by a President before he began his political career - thus, it is not tainted as so many books by Presidents are with the spin that human beings cannot help but put on their own political stories.

Three very good Presidential biographies I highly recommend:

Washington: A Life (Ron Chernow)
Eisenhower in War and Peace (Jean Edward Smith)
Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush (Jon Meacham)

These are warts-and-all biographies of men who are all the more interesting because they were not perfect.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

2,620 posts, read 4,208,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I have not read that, though it is notable for being a book written by a President before he began his political career - thus, it is not tainted as so many books by Presidents are with the spin that human beings cannot help but put on their own political stories.

Three very good Presidential biographies I highly recommend:

Washington: A Life (Ron Chernow)
Eisenhower in War and Peace (Jean Edward Smith)
Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush (Jon Meacham)

These are warts-and-all biographies of men who are all the more interesting because they were not perfect.

I recently decided to embark on a reading project of reading a biography of each of the U.S. presidents in the order in which they served. So I will be picking one up on George Washington first. My short list includes the one you noted:
  • Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
  • Washington: The Indispensible Man by James Thomas Flexner
  • George Washington: A Biography by Washington Irving
Anyone else have any views on any of these that can help me pick a good one and get my project off right?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 10,461,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I recently decided to embark on a reading project of reading a biography of each of the U.S. presidents in the order in which they served. So I will be picking one up on George Washington first. [/list]Anyone else have any views on any of these that can help me pick a good one and get my project off right?

Thanks!
I'd suggest asking in the History forum.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 2,409,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I recently decided to embark on a reading project of reading a biography of each of the U.S. presidents in the order in which they served. So I will be picking one up on George Washington first. My short list includes the one you noted:
  • Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
  • Washington: The Indispensible Man by James Thomas Flexner
  • George Washington: A Biography by Washington Irving
Anyone else have any views on any of these that can help me pick a good one and get my project off right?

Thanks!
That is a great endeavor. There are SO many books on FDR, I don't know how to possibly narrow it down to just one.

I read an excellent biography of Florence Harding, which shed light on Warren, as well. (Florence Harding: The First Lady, The Jazz Age, And The Death Of America's Most Scandalous President by Carl Sferrazza Anthony)

Coolidge: An American Enigma by Robert Sobel was a pretty good one on Calvin Coolidge.

I haven't yet read any of Washington, but I'd go with the Chernow one. He's a great author and this had been on my Of Interest list, but I don't know if it will ever make it to the top.

Also - just saw this on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...al_Biographies

Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 6,824,354 times
This isn't a biography, but you might like it - Posterity: Letters of Great Americans to their Children by Dorie McCullough Lawson (David McCullough's daughter)

Each letter is preceded by a short biography of the author and his/her relationship to the child. Some of the letters are heartbreaking, others are funny and still others (just a few, though, are quite boring).

The surprising thing is that so many of these great Americans are begging their children to listen to their advice while they are often writing the letter during a period of time where they hold great political or social power.

I gave this book to my Dad for Father's Day several years ago and he loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books