Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:46 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Amazon just sent me a link to 100 Books To Read In a Lifetime according to their book editors. They are not all classics and I'm going to assume they are from books still in print and the list is subjective.

How many and which ones have you read? Of the ones you have read, which did you like the most? Of the ones you haven't read, which one(s) would you like to read? I'd like to see which one the most people here have read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...ode=8192263011

Note: It's not an actual list but rows of 6 book covers totaling 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I've read 46 of them.

The ones that I've liked the best are:
- Bel Canto
- In Cold Blood
- Interpreter of Maladies
- Middlesex
- The Book Thief
- The Secret History

ETA: Sorry that I didn't list all of the ones that I've read (I'm too tired), so I only listed my favorites among them. There are none on Amazon's list that I haven't read but want to.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I have read 39 of them

The ones that stand out as favorites are:
A Wrinkle in Time
The Book Thief
The Secret History
Bel Canto
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Man's Search for Meaning (wow - never thought I'd ever type that right after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
Pride and Prejudice
Devil in the White City
The Man Who Mistook his Wife for his Hat

The ones that stand out as "I read this because someone (teacher, book club) made me read it and I didn't really enjoy it much" are:
The Stranger
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Thanks for sharing this list - it brought back some great reading memories and reminded me of some books that I've had on my TBR for a long time!

Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I've read:

A Wrinkle In Time
Dune
Fahrenheit 451
Invisible Man
In Cold Blood
Portnoy's Complaint
Slaughterhouse Five
The Catcher In The Rye
The Devil In The White City
The Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank)
The Handmaid's Tale
The Little Prince
The Shining
Things Fall Apart
To Kill a Mockingbird
Unbroken
Valley of The Dolls

Didn't finish:

Catch 22 (didn't like it or the movie)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Didn't like:

The Shining (didn't like the movie either)
Slaughterhouse-Five

From the above, I liked 1984 the best followed by Fahrenheit 451, Unbroken and The Handmaid's Tale.

For the last 20 years I've read almost nothing but nonfiction and the list is light on nonfiction. Also saw some movies based on books on the list I haven't read and didn't like the movie, so wasn't about to read the books they are based on.

From the list I would like to read:

Team of Rivals
The Looming Tower

Old 02-24-2017, 06:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Laura, seeing as how you mostly read non-fiction, I'm surprised that you didn't finish The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I don't read much non-fiction, I have a sensitive stomach and there was medical "stuff" in this book that had me feeling faint, but I thought that this book was terrific. Just curious...why didn't you finish it?

Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
I've read 24 of the books on that list.
My favorites were
Catch 22
Guns, Germs and Steel
The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes
The Stranger

A few on the list were children's books I read to my daughter. Haven't read Goodnight Moon in over 25 years but it's permanently burned into my brain. "Read it again, Dad"

Reading to your children makes good readers.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I've read 24 of the books on that list.
My favorites were
Catch 22
Guns, Germs and Steel
The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes
The Stranger

A few on the list were children's books I read to my daughter. Haven't read Goodnight Moon in over 25 years but it's permanently burned into my brain. "Read it again, Dad"

Reading to your children makes good readers.
Yes it does! I never read Phantom Tollbooth as a child, but read it more than once to my children and loved it!

I might go back and re-read 1984 seeing that several of you listed it as a favorite. It was a force-read in high school and I didn't like the class, the teacher or the book. It most likely deserves a second chance that does not involve Mrs. Fancher.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Phantom Tollboth was a big favorite in my house, too. Didn't see it on the list. Maybe I missed it because it should be there.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
I've read 22 of them. I liked a lot of them, but the ones that stand out in my mind at the moment are:

Dune
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Guns, Germs and Steel
A Brief History of Time (there are a lot of pop-sci books that I like better, but in the context of this list it stands out fairly well).

I started reading Middlesex over a year ago, and I eventually do want to finish it, but so far it has not pulled me in enough to compel me to finish it, given all of the other things on my must-read list.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 AM

I just reviewed the list to see how the books rated with Amazon's review system (1 - 5 stars). Only six books on the list have five solid stars and what a odd subset this is:

Charlotte's Web
Team of Rivals: The Political genius of Abraham Lincoln
Malcolm X
Unbroken
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Where the Wild Things Are

We must be more generous with our stars when reading children's books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books