U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,408,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. But then: I have never bought an e-book. They are a solution in search of a problem. If I live into the 24th century, I will still read actual books and not glowing screens.
Since no one has glasses or vision problems in the 24th century, it might work better. Until then, I'll keep my Kindle ereader for the adjustable fonts and total lack of eye strain (compared to tiny print in books or the eye strain from tablets, laptops and computers).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

6,049 posts, read 7,052,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Since no one has glasses or vision problems in the 24th century, it might work better. Until then, I'll keep my Kindle ereader for the adjustable fonts and total lack of eye strain (compared to tiny print in books or the eye strain from tablets, laptops and computers).
That is so sadly true. My eyes went from relatively normal (corrected with glasses) to 'old' eyes overnight. I'm very grateful for my kindle.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM

9,409 posts, read 14,729,569 times
Quote:
Nope. But then: I have never bought an e-book. They are a solution in search of a problem. If I live into the 24th century, I will still read actual books and not glowing screens.
eInk doesn't glow, it looks just like paper and ink. Maybe you should try educating yourself on them first, before you pass judgement.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM

18,590 posts, read 22,371,379 times
Quote:
Your e-reader is giving you a whole new set of eye problems though.

Human eyes are designed to view reflected light. Direct light of any kind (staring at the sun, staring directly into an electric light, even staring at a flame for a long period of time) is really bad for your eyes. Prolonged exposure will cause damage. And your e-reader is most definitely direct light. It may be dimmer than a bright flashlight or the sun, but that just means it is damaging your eyes more slowly over a long period of time. But the damage is occurring.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,723,502 times
Quote:

Human eyes are designed to view reflected light. Direct light of any kind (staring at the sun, staring directly into an electric light, even staring at a flame for a long period of time) is really bad for your eyes. Prolonged exposure will cause damage. And your e-reader is most definitely direct light. It may be dimmer than a bright flashlight or the sun, but that just means it is damaging your eyes more slowly over a long period of time. But the damage is occurring.
Asked and answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
eInk doesn't glow, it looks just like paper and ink. Maybe you should try educating yourself on them first, before you pass judgement.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,714,919 times
As for the preferred length of a book, I think it is a strange and very artificial litmus test of what we "like". If it's a good book, beautiful/thought-provoking/interesting/spell-binding in some way/etc., then the length doesn't really matter. I'll give two examples at the extremes which are favorites of mine and to which I have returned more than once for re-reading:

On the short extreme is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. This little volume of great poetic beauty and also great profundity is, on the surface, a children's fable but in reality is much more than that. It is beloved by children and by adults throughout the French-speaking world.

On the longish extreme is The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, coming in at somewhere around 1,000 pages, and more if you include The Hobbit as an appropriate beginning. That saga kept me engaged and intrigued from start to finish; it is hard for me to describe the magic of it. I will just say I have lots of company, while admitting that plenty of other people don't care for it. But the length is not the issue. (Obviously, if you don't like something, forcing yourself through the entire length of a long book will be torture, but that is not the same as the length being the issue.)

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM

16,447 posts, read 9,932,775 times
I like reading e-book versions of long books (more than 400 pages or so). I can avoid the hand cramp that I get from holding the thick tomes for long periods of time. Although I prefer paper books, I get really great prices on Kindle books from indie authors, so I have amassed quite a selection.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,687,871 times
Quote:
I used to say that back before I ever read an ebook. I read my first ebook... within less than a month I had 100% switched to ebooks. Note I read about 120 books/year.

Of course you need some sort of tablet before you test it. I'd had an iPad for a few months before I tried it. I never looked back. These days I hate when I can get a book I want only in dead tree format.

What amazes me the most is my public library access to ebooks via Overdrive which all public libraries I've joined (about 10) support. I suffer insomnia and read as a means of trying to get tired enough to sleep. It's just astonishes me that I can finish a book (perhaps in a series) at 2 a.m. and then within less than 10 minutes find the next in the series, check it out, D/L to my iPad, and be back reading the sequel in mere minutes.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,408,227 times
Quote:

You've clearly never actually LOOKED at an ereader. They are reflected light. You're thinking of tablets, laptops and computer screens.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM

6,049 posts, read 7,052,219 times
Quote:
You've clearly never actually LOOKED at an ereader. They are reflected light. You're thinking of tablets, laptops and computer screens.
A link on kindles: Why Are e-Readers Great for Reading in the Sun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or