U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,381,083 times

Advertisements

Some of the responses are truly funny.

I have an older 3G Kindle Touch. My ONLY complaint is when Amazon decides to throw something new on it that I didn't ask for and I don't have a clue where to look. A bunch of my books are somewhere and I can't find them. One of these days I'll be in the mood to call and tell them to put them back where I originally put them. If they're on a cloud somewhere, I don't know where it is. I seriously despise learning something new that I didn't ask for and don't want. Honestly, I rarely pick up my Kindle for that very reason, and haven't bought a Kindle book in ages. I read the free samples and then trash them.

I will say it's much easier to barely tap the screen with my thumb that's sitting right there and turn the page than it is to actually have to lift my arm and reach across a paper book to turn the page. Of all the lazy things, this takes the cake!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM

1,414 posts, read 884,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I've heard people don't like long e-books. I know lots of book lovers who gladly pick up 300 or more page paper books glad they are so long. Does the length of a book make a difference to you whether it is on your e-reader or on paper?
I still enjoy the aesthetics of paper books but have switched to mostly ebooks out of convenience. I read during my lunch at work and therefore carry a book with me every day. Ebooks take up much less space and add less weight to my briefcase. It is also nice to immediately download the next book I want to read when I finish with a different one.

Right now I'm reading a pretty thick paper book from the library. I walk about a mile from my car to my desk, and the added weight is noticeable. In my opinion the ebook is more of an advantage with a longer book.

If I did all my reading in the same place I would still prefer paper books. The ease of portability of ebooks is a win in my opinion. FWIW, I also use a dedicated e-reader. I find the e-ink does a good job mimicking paper and ink, I would hate reading off of a reflective tablet.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM

9,384 posts, read 14,714,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Your e-reader is giving you a whole new set of eye problems though.

Human eyes are designed to view reflected light. Direct light of any kind (staring at the sun, staring directly into an electric light, even staring at a flame for a long period of time) is really bad for your eyes. Prolonged exposure will cause damage. And your e-reader is most definitely direct light. It may be dimmer than a bright flashlight or the sun, but that just means it is damaging your eyes more slowly over a long period of time. But the damage is occurring.
Nope, sorry but you're totally misunderstanding eInk screens. Some of them do have frontlighting, which means the light is directed at the screen, meaning it's no different than shining a flashlight onto a book, making it reflective light. But even this can be turned off so there is literally no light coming from the screen when in use. Seriously, people, just go to Best Buy and take a look at one (eInk, NOT a tablet), before you go around judging it and spreading false information.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,669,498 times
There are a variety ebook readers and tablets that work on LED light same as any PC. I believe Amazon's Kindle can also work on reflected light or at least works in direct sunlight unlike most other readers.

If you are reading indoors then any reader should work fine. I really like my iPad.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,390,074 times
Apparently we have to explain terms again:

An ebook is text in a digital format (books, magazine, newspaper, etc), more or less. There are a large number of formats ebooks can be read in - pdf, txt, html and various flavors of ereader text, some copy protected or tied to a specific device or company, some not. Ebooks can be read on ereaders or on any digital device that can read the format via a program or app or online application. This can be on a smart phone, tablet, laptop, PC or dedicated ereader.

An ereader is a dedicated device for reading ebooks (some of them do a few other things, usually very badly - I'd have to be really desperate to try to use my Kindle to read the net or my email). It has an e-ink screen. E-ink screens are very similar to reading on paper in that, if it is dark, they require some form of external illumination. Some ereaders have an LED "ring" built in to the frame, which works much like a booklight - the LEDs shine down on the surface of the ereader. Examples of ereaders: Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, my much loved but now expired Kindle DX which had a 9.7" screen, Kobo Aura, Nook, Nook Glowlight. The unfortunately named Amazon Kindle Fire is a tablet, like an ipad or Samsung and is not an ereader but can be used to read ebooks via an app.

There is a ton of info out there on why reading on a computer screen (phone, laptop, PC, tablet) is bad for your eyes. That does not apply to e-ink, which is an entirely different type of device, no different to your eyes than paper. The worst you can find for ereaders is that, as when reading a paper book, you need to be sure to blink frequently and that focusing on one thing at a fixed range can be hard on your eyes. That applies to paper as well as ereaders.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-22-2017 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: added

Old 05-07-2017, 03:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,116,311 times
If I like it, the longer the better. If I don't like it I quit.

I prefer e-books but if I an get the text I convert it to MP3 and listen.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:09 AM

761 posts, read 446,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I won't read e-books at all. I had a Nook for years ... hated it ... paid a lot for books and never finished one of them. I read online too much as it is .. my eyes can use the rest from the bright screen and varying fonts and having to figure out how to turn the pages .. pages with much less written on them it seems than one often gets on a real book - not to mention that you turn twice as often if there is only one page displayed at a time or have to constantly be scrolling up and back if you forget something from the top of the page.

And I also like to have a real book to hold and to refer to time and again in hard copy. It is much more secure as well. Once I have it in my hands, I know it won't get a virus or hacked or accidentally deleted and it won't get lost if my 'braindrive' crashes.

Yes, absolutely..

I love the tactile version of reading, turning pages, & bookmarks.

My eyes get tired from being exposed to the screen light, so beautiful paper book reading is my go to and hard cover when possible.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:07 AM

9,384 posts, read 14,714,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Yes, absolutely..

I love the tactile version of reading, turning pages, & bookmarks.

My eyes get tired from being exposed to the screen light, so beautiful paper book reading is my go to and hard cover when possible.
Fair enough if you prefer the feel of paper books, but for the billionth time, there is no screen light with an eInk device.

Personally, I hate hard covers. They're so heavy, and the jackets are so annoying.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,743,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Fair enough if you prefer the feel of paper books, but for the billionth time, there is no screen light with an eInk device.

Personally, I hate hard covers. They're so heavy, and the jackets are so annoying.
I take the jacket off while reading a hardcover and sometimes even use it as a bookmark. When done I put the jacket back on the book.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM

5,199 posts, read 2,372,225 times
I love my Kindle; it weighs the same no matter how long or how many books I have on it.

A few years ago, I binge-read the Outlander series in paper and wound up with wrist problems from the weight of the books. Kindle never does that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or