U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM

672 posts, read 311,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I've heard people don't like long e-books. I know lots of book lovers who gladly pick up 300 or more page paper books glad they are so long. Does the length of a book make a difference to you whether it is on your e-reader or on paper?
I'm totally fine with a long eBook. A 500+ page hardcover book might be a little heavy and awkward, but not on a kindle. I love the kindle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 AM

14,534 posts, read 16,687,871 times
I too prefer longer books. (Okay maybe not as long as Tolkien or Martin.) As I begin each novel I determine my level of interest and enjoyment, and after maybe 10% I make a decision of whether it's worth several more hours of my life to finish the book. If not, I quit reading. There is no point in wasting several hours of my life to find the ending of a bad novel.

On the other hand if I'm enjoying the novel I want it to last longer.

Note that ebooks do not have pages so the term pages does not apply. Change the font size or margins and the number of pages changes too.

A novel in either format is about 100,000 words. If the novel is good I prefer about 120,000 words. This can be translated into pages if you know the publishing parameters of physical page size, margins, font and point size. However the word count applies to both formats equally.

If you intend to do professional writing you should set your word processor to default settings, and think in terms of number of words, not number of pages.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM

672 posts, read 311,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Your e-reader is giving you a whole new set of eye problems though.

Human eyes are designed to view reflected light. Direct light of any kind (staring at the sun, staring directly into an electric light, even staring at a flame for a long period of time) is really bad for your eyes. Prolonged exposure will cause damage. And your e-reader is most definitely direct light. It may be dimmer than a bright flashlight or the sun, but that just means it is damaging your eyes more slowly over a long period of time. But the damage is occurring.
People had vision problems long before eReaders and computer screens. The light on a Kindle Paperwhite and other readers can be adjusted, so i would say any incurred damage would be extremely minimal.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM

9,409 posts, read 14,729,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Note that ebooks do not have pages so the term pages does not apply. Change the font size or margins and the number of pages changes too.
Actually, Kindle has "real page numbers" on many ebooks - they take the page numbers from a printed version and apply it to your Kindle edition. It means you can sometimes flip the page on your Kindle and the page number remains the same.

Even if a Kindle edition doesn't have real page numbers, the page numbers from a printed edition is still the best/only way to judge how long an ebook is. Page numbers in printed editions vary too, depending on the edition. Differences in paper size, margins, font size, and line spacing all mean one printed edition can have a totally different page count than another. Yet the page count is still used to judge how long a book is, so I don't know why the same wouldn't apply to an ebook.

Quote:
A novel in either format is about 100,000 words. If the novel is good I prefer about 120,000 words. This can be translated into pages if you know the publishing parameters of physical page size, margins, font and point size. However the word count applies to both formats equally.
Unfortunately the word count for most books isn't public knowledge, so word count also isn't a good way to measure the length of the books you read.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
People had vision problems long before eReaders and computer screens. The light on a Kindle Paperwhite and other readers can be adjusted, so i would say any incurred damage would be extremely minimal.
There is no "damage" anyway because eInk uses reflective light, not direct light like Mark was claiming. Even the frontlighting on eInk devices is reflective, not direct light - it shines the light onto the screen: http://gizmodo.com/5940965/what-is-a-frontlit-display

Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Unfortunately the word count for most books isn't public knowledge, so word count also isn't a good way to measure the length of the books you read.
I won't argue about real page numbers but if you intend to write a book then the word count becomes important, particularly since before publication the author does not have access to the publisher's parameters for fonts, point size, margins, etc.

That's why writers set their word processors to default settings, do not use styles, and the only formatting used is bold, italics and maybe underlines.

Admittedly this section of the forum is probably more intended for readers than writers.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I won't argue about real page numbers but if you intend to write a book then the word count becomes important, particularly since before publication the author does not have access to the publisher's parameters for fonts, point size, margins, etc.

That's why writers set their word processors to default settings, do not use styles, and the only formatting used is bold, italics and maybe underlines.

Admittedly this section of the forum is probably more intended for readers than writers.
It's not just this section of the forum, this topic isn't about writing books...

Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM

2,644 posts, read 1,747,896 times
Quote:
I too prefer longer books. (Okay maybe not as long as Tolkien or Martin.) As I begin each novel I determine my level of interest and enjoyment, and after maybe 10% I make a decision of whether it's worth several more hours of my life to finish the book. If not, I quit reading. There is no point in wasting several hours of my life to find the ending of a bad novel.

On the other hand if I'm enjoying the novel I want it to last longer.

If you intend to do professional writing you should set your word processor to default settings, and think in terms of number of words, not number of pages.
Right. It's still used as a measurement until people catch on to file size as a meaningful measurement. That will likely be the future way we consider a book's size.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM

2,644 posts, read 1,747,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's not just this section of the forum, this topic isn't about writing books...
lol Correct. I was wondering how the size of e-books may or may not turn off readers. I've heard it siad that people don't just stare at a screen for hours, but many of us do.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Right. It's still used as a measurement until people catch on to file size as a meaningful measurement. That will likely be the future way we consider a book's size.
The file size is equivalent to the number of characters for the most part except for the relatively few formatting characters ebooks use. Google tells me the average English word is 5.1 letters. Assuming two bytes per letter that's 10.2 bytes = 1 word. So file size and number of words are expressing the same thing (length) in different units, that's all.

As a writer I have often had my query to my editor come back as an "on spec" approval for a proposed magazine article (meaning they'll buy it if they like the end result) and told the number of words they want and what price I'll be paid if they decide to publish it.

Quote:
lol Correct. I was wondering how the size of e-books may or may not turn off readers. I've heard it siad that people don't just stare at a screen for hours, but many of us do.
Not sure if you mean physical size or length. Paper novels and the same ebooks are the same length (word count). You can buy tablets of any size including same as paper books. To be sure it would take a very large phone screen to read a book in my opinion. I prefer small phones, too small for reading books.

What is the difference between staring at a screen or staring at a paper book anyway? My iPad weighs about the same as a typical novel, but it's easier to use at night reading in bed because I can do it with the lights out. I can't really read paper books in bed unless I use a high intensity reading light. I never read in sunlight but those who do can buy a Kindle Paperwhite.

It's probably too early to predict the demise of paper books but many are finding that ebooks are much more user friendly. I get most of my books from the several public libraries I'm a member at, and buy Amazon gift cards from my credit card rewards program and use them to get the books I can't find at any library I have access to. I get a practically unlimited supply of novels and buy perhaps 1 in 10, and I can check out books in the middle of the night without leaving my bed, like if I finish a novel earlier than I intend to go to sleep.

It's funny that I was an ebook scoffer up until about 4 years ago when I got my iPad. I take notes on which books I've read and I can see an overlap of a few weeks after I got my iPad when I was reading both ebooks and paper. It took about a month until I went 100% ebooks, and now I read only ebooks except in cases where I can get a book only in paper format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or