U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,744,448 times

Advertisements

I've heard people don't like long e-books. I know lots of book lovers who gladly pick up 300 or more page paper books glad they are so long. Does the length of a book make a difference to you whether it is on your e-reader or on paper?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

9,390 posts, read 14,718,968 times
Nope.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:36 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,046,465 times
Nope.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:54 PM

2,890 posts, read 1,997,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I've heard people don't like long e-books. I know lots of book lovers who gladly pick up 300 or more page paper books glad they are so long. Does the length of a book make a difference to you whether it is on your e-reader or on paper?
I read mostly in bed so I would rather read a longer book on my Kindle than have a weighty tome fall on me when I nod off. I have nothing against longer books and often don't even notice the page count until I've downloaded it or started reading it.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,499,957 times
I won't read e-books at all. I had a Nook for years ... hated it ... paid a lot for books and never finished one of them. I read online too much as it is .. my eyes can use the rest from the bright screen and varying fonts and having to figure out how to turn the pages .. pages with much less written on them it seems than one often gets on a real book - not to mention that you turn twice as often if there is only one page displayed at a time or have to constantly be scrolling up and back if you forget something from the top of the page.

And I also like to have a real book to hold and to refer to time and again in hard copy. It is much more secure as well. Once I have it in my hands, I know it won't get a virus or hacked or accidentally deleted and it won't get lost if my 'braindrive' crashes.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM

9,390 posts, read 14,718,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I won't read e-books at all.
That wasn't the question but okay, I'll bite...

Quote:
I had a Nook for years ... hated it ... paid a lot for books and never finished one of them. I read online too much as it is .. my eyes can use the rest from the bright screen and varying fonts
It sounds like you were using a backlit tablet, not an eInk device. eInk looks just like paper and ink, it's not a bright screen at all. Plus, the beauty of ereaders is that you can set your own font so the font don't vary. All my ebooks display in the same font, same size, as chosen by me to suit my eyes. Can't do that with a paper book - you're stuck with the publisher's choice of font type and size.

Quote:
and having to figure out how to turn the pages
I didn't realize clicking a button/tapping the screen was so difficult to figure out...

Quote:
.. pages with much less written on them it seems than one often gets on a real book - not to mention that you turn twice as often if there is only one page displayed at a time or have to constantly be scrolling up and back if you forget something from the top of the page.
You probably do turn the page more often with ereaders but the flip side to that is clicking a button/tapping the screen is much quicker and easier than trying to separate pages and flick through them. I find the turning of pages in an ebook much more seamless and smooth, to the point where I don't even think about it. Never again do I find myself yelling at a book: "oh, come on, I'm trying to turn ONE page, not two!!"

Quote:
And I also like to have a real book to hold and to refer to time and again in hard copy. It is much more secure as well. Once I have it in my hands, I know it won't get a virus or hacked or accidentally deleted and it won't get lost if my 'braindrive' crashes.
This is some of the silliest criticism I've seen yet. Firstly, viruses for ereaders don't really exist.

Secondly, you can avoid hacking by not leaving it connected to the internet, however, why would anyone want to hack an ereader? There's not really anything of value on it except ebooks, and if someone wants to illegally obtain free ebooks, there are far easier ways to get pirated copies than hacking an individual's ereader. Especially considering they'd be limited to the books the person whose ereader they hacked has bought, whereas going to a pirate website will allow them their own choice in books. Hacking an ereader serves no purpose and I've never heard of it ever happening. This is a completely illogical criticism.

As for your last complaint, I don't know about Nook but with Amazon, every ebook you buy is stored in your Amazon account/cloud. So it doesn't matter what happens to an ebook on your ereader since it's always backed up to the cloud and you can re-download another copy of it from your account to a new/secondary ereader whenever you want. If your Kindle crashes, breaks, gets lost or stolen, all your ebooks are safe and can still be accessed with any device you register to your account. While you could theoretically accidentally delete an ebook from your account/cloud, it's not easy to do so. You have to log into your Amazon account from your computer, go to "manage your content", click on a book, then click "delete", and then confirm the delete. I've never heard of someone doing this by accident but even if you did, you could probably call Amazon and explain the situation and they might restore it.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,599,271 times
I prefer ebooks. ( I have a kindle paper white). I find it convenient never having to fiddle with proper lighting, and it is much more compact than a book. If I do carry a book with me, if I finish it then I have nothing to read. With the kindle, I have a whole supply.
I really like that I can control the font. Many times, particularly with older books, if the pages have yellowed or the font is light or small I shy away from reading it because it is too much work. With the kindle, it's all easy to read.

The library system has a lot of e-books but not enough so usually I still read the regular books.
I did sign up for a promo with kindle unlimited, but haven't used that yet.

My one issue, if you can even call it that, is that where it says the time remaining in the book is usually not at all a good indication (Percent completed is a decent indicator).

Old 03-10-2017, 07:05 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,673,822 times
Nope. Nope. Nope.

Unless you are Tolkein or Martin the gold standard is 100,000 words give or take. Doesn't matter what format.

I want a book with meat! If your book has less than 80,000 words I'd call it a novella. Even if you sell it for 99 cents.

My personal preference is a bit longer, guessing maybe 120,000 or so. As long as you don't bloat it with dreck.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,395,181 times
Quote:
I've heard people don't like long e-books.
Some of the best sellers in ebooks are the "doorstop" style reads, particularly because it is so easy to carry around - no idea where you heard people don't like long ebooks.

I have read that people tend to prefer shorter reads in on-line articles (like magazines and newspapers), but, by glancing at Amazon's "best sellers" list, that doesn't seem to hold for ebooks.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM

18,546 posts, read 22,344,378 times
Quote:
Nope. But then: I have never bought an e-book. They are a solution in search of a problem. If I live into the 24th century, I will still read actual books and not glowing screens.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or