U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM

473 posts, read 233,960 times

Advertisements

Good books with beautiful language?

I am looking for books with good and warm athmosphere with beautiful language, not too sophisticated, not as boring as Jane Austin's books. Maybe a bit old fashion style rather than modern style, maybe for older folks rather than for youngsters.

Like what flowerdarling would like to read, warm, sunny, happy, beautiful and nice things which are prettily described but not too boring.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,828,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
Good books with beautiful language?

I am looking for books with good and warm athmosphere with beautiful language, not too sophisticated, not as boring as Jane Austin's books. Maybe a bit old fashion style rather than modern style, maybe for older folks rather than for youngsters.

Like what flowerdarling would like to read, warm, sunny, happy, beautiful and nice things which are prettily described but not too boring.
Do you like fiction? Historical fiction? Short stories?

I feel like I know exactly what you are looking for, but am having trouble recalling a title immediately. I'll keep thinking on this one.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:35 PM

5,548 posts, read 7,106,177 times
The lion the witch the wardrobe c s Lewis

They read it in my sons class becaus Lewis' grammar and use of language is flawless

If you like mysteries Rex stout and Nero Wolfe

If you like English historical novels Linda Porter will make you feel like you have been through a college course

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,828,152 times
Oh - I thought of one!

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner (thanks, Dawn, for turning me on to this several years ago). It is the story of two married couples over a few decades. The writing is incredible and the characters and scenes are written in a way that makes you feel like you are living their lives along with them. There is nothing tragic, or racy, or disturbing - just regular life told with beautiful words.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:09 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,744,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Oh - I thought of one!

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner (thanks, Dawn, for turning me on to this several years ago). It is the story of two married couples over a few decades. The writing is incredible and the characters and scenes are written in a way that makes you feel like you are living their lives along with them. There is nothing tragic, or racy, or disturbing - just regular life told with beautiful words.
I was about to suggest that! Of course... My favorite book in the world, ever.

What I most loved about this book is that everyone I know who has read it sees themselves as one of the characters, they're that realistic. (I saw myself as Charity. I had read a paragraph to someone, when Larry describes her as talking in italics, just like how someone would write parts of a letter. He -- the person who I read it to -- said "THAT'S YOU!" I loved that. It felt like a grand compliment.)

Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM

20,544 posts, read 27,478,874 times
I just finished Corrag by Susan Fletcher which is a book set in the Scottish Highlands of the 17th century. The "witch" Corrag tells her tale in such a beautiful way that you can see what she sees and feel like you are there.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7306310-corrag

Let me think on it some more in case that is too heavy.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Do you like fiction? Historical fiction? Short stories?

I feel like I know exactly what you are looking for, but am having trouble recalling a title immediately. I'll keep thinking on this one.

Thanks for the answer

I don't like scifi and for example Harry Potter is too imaginative to translate for me. Fiction is fine, historical romantic fiction is fine too. It could be a bit adventurous but I don't wish to read about detailed deaths and sad things.

Quote:
Oh - I thought of one!

Thank you!

That could be the style which I am looking for.

Do you know any book stores or some other places where 5-20 pages of books could be read free before buying them? I could see if I like it before buying it.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The lion the witch the wardrobe c s Lewis

They read it in my sons class becaus Lewis' grammar and use of language is flawless

If you like mysteries Rex stout and Nero Wolfe

If you like English historical novels Linda Porter will make you feel like you have been through a college course

Yes, learning grammar structures is my goal. Vocabulary should be something realistic that I am able to translate it. My dictionary does not know anything about Harry Potter.

I look for Linda Porter, thanks

Old 03-14-2017, 04:31 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,744,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
Thanks for the answer

I don't like scifi and for example Harry Potter is too imaginative to translate for me. Fiction is fine, historical romantic fiction is fine too. It could be a bit adventurous but I don't wish to read about detailed deaths and sad things.

Thank you!

That could be the style which I am looking for.

Do you know any book stores or some other places where 5-20 pages of books could be read free before buying them? I could see if I like it before buying it.
https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Safe...allace+stegner

Click on "Look Inside" on top of the book picture. You'll have to skip past the author bio and the introduction that someone wrote to get to the first chapter, though.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Safe...allace+stegner

Click on "Look Inside" on top of the book picture. You'll have to skip past the author bio and the introduction that someone wrote to get to the first chapter, though.
Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books