Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Not sure about Jefferson, but I am certain we said somewhere along the way, "without books...."

Looking forward to the final count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Naw, Man! I am going to count these suckers. You've done thrown down the gauntlet.

You have described my family room, BTW. Two wingbacks and an ottoman flanking the fireplace. Across the room, 3 bookcases pushed together to create one big unit. The bedroom has a similar set-up with two chairs (our grandfathers', no less, and so comfortable) and an ottoman, and nice reading lamps, right next to a large bookcase -- I don't even have to get up as a rule to even pull a book from the shelf, unless I want one of hubby's on his side. I was lucky-enough to have a formal living room/office on the front of the house, and we call that room "the library." Same set up with comfortable chairs and an ottoman, lamps to read by.

Still humming. . . "heaven. I'm in heaven."

Didn't Jefferson say, "I cannot live without books?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
OK.. this is easy because it's only March... I have bought 6 books this year...I have read more than that. One of the books I bought, I just read from the library and liked it so much I bought it!!! That seem to happen alot!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
I buy at least 3 books a month! Have a bookcase plus some of unread books. Addict or book collector. At the end of each year my credit card company lists all my purchases for the year. Amazon, by far, dominates (mostly used books).

Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
[quote=Mooseketeer;3059792]As a voracious reader I have to limit my greedy habits or I would just fill the house, go bankrupt and possibly end up with a lot of unread books in the process.

I never use my local library any more as it seems in the UK that libraries are turning into a DVDs/CDs/Video Games library with a dwindling amount of books. I never find anything I actually want to read.

I never buy new books any more and either buy from Amazon ( nearly new) or second-hand book stores.

I can go through a week without buying anything, sometimes even 2 or 3 weeks and then I will order 5, 8 or on one occasion 13 books all at once.

I used to love browsing for books in book-stores but it became too dangerous and too addictive !

LOL, Moose, I can identify! But with my addiction, I feel I may be MISSING some good reads.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:30 PM

128 posts, read 308,111 times
Wow, thats a hard question to answer. I love discount shopping on books, which is a way I find new authors. The cheaper the book, the more I buy. There is shop where I live, Crown Books, who have a dollar table. They get a lot of business from me because I love bargain books.

I don't like shopping, but buying books is my weakness. Even if I have many that I haven't read, I will still buy more.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I'm glad you fessed up, RDSLOTS, as I suspected the numbers were not insignificant.

A cursory glance can enlighten you without a numerical one by one count: suggested shelf capacity for an average bookcase length: 30 hardbound; 40-odd paperbacks.
Oh, no it can't. My 'everyday' shelves were made by DH. They were mostly 1"x8"x8', running from floor to ceiling. I never lined books up neatly a la library style, they were stacked flat. Two stacks of paperbacks about 7" by 12" high, about 7 3/4' long [allowing for 1 by braces along the way]. My shelves held thousands. If I was careful, I could pack around 300-350 paperbacks into plastic or paper grocery bags, depending on how thick the books were, and I had at least 50 of those. All the hardbacks and odd sizes were in another room, and the cookbooks lined 2 shelves in the kitchen - the same kind of shelves as the 'everyday' ones, but there were also hardbacks among them; one of the less attractive things about cookbooks in general is their odd sizes. Of course, that's also a benefit when thinking of illustrations.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am wondering how many books we big time readers buy, and how often we buy our books.....
Too many, too often and they're taking over!!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
Only bought one book today......my wife however came home with a bag full yesterday. [Mod Cut]

Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I probably buy 40 a year, and check out as many.

All that being said, our great local library has a huge used book sale every year. It's a community of readers, so you can get plenty of offerings beyond the realm of bodice rippers and Grisham thrillers. So I go visit, spend two hours there, and walk away with about 20 books for 20 dollars. Then I have about six months of reading pleasure for less than the cost of two trade paperbacks.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Since I started visiting all the book sellers in the region (for an article) I've bought more books in a four-six week period than the previous year. I had been relying on the library and keeping purchases to a minimum. So, I probably bought about 20 books.

No regrets on these new sheaves--but of course, more books, more bookshelves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books