Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Do you use Audible?
I do love that Audible allows you to return a book for any reason and without a limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I do love that Audible allows you to return a book for any reason and without a limit.
THIS.

Also, they have a section called "Audible Essentials". I have found you cannot go too far wrong with any of the books in that section. The only limiting factor is if it's a topic that interests you or not.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Do you use Audible?
No.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
No.
Oh, well that makes all the difference! I think it costs $14.99 a month for one credit/one book a month. But if you are a member you get access to sales all the time...think under $5, or 2 for 1 deals. Then if you have the right phone/iPod situation, the book is wirelessly transferred to your device. If it is in your budget, I highly recommend it.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, well that makes all the difference! I think it costs $14.99 a month for one credit/one book a month. But if you are a member you get access to sales all the time...think under $5, or 2 for 1 deals. Then if you have the right phone/iPod situation, the book is wirelessly transferred to your device. If it is in your budget, I highly recommend it.
thanks for the recommendation. I don't have a cell phone, tablet or anything except a PC. I get my audio books from various sources--ebay, library, online retailers etc. Sometimes people I know loan me their audio books.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
thanks for the recommendation. I don't have a cell phone, tablet or anything except a PC. I get my audio books from various sources--ebay, library, online retailers etc. Sometimes people I know loan me their audio books.
So how do you listen to them? In your car? Over the PC?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
So how do you listen to them? In your car? Over the PC?
PC. At home only.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
PC. At home only.
Unless you have excellent speakers, REALLY excellent speakers, I think this might be part of the issue. I
never truly enjoy audio books over the car speakers, for example. I have found that the spoken word is more distorted on a PC or car radio than music is.

Not until I started listening on an iPod with good earbuds/headphones did I come to love audio books. They became like a movie in my head.

If you wanted to, I'm sure you could find an affordable older model of an iPod or a phone, that would still be able to support audio files or the Audible app. I'm not sure if you would WANT to listen to your books that way, but for me, it made a tremendous difference.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
Yes! I have stopped listening to several books because of the reader's poor performance. If they sound bored, or if they have a very heavy accent, or if they have an annoying tone, I suspend. On the other hand, if the reader is really good, I will sometimes listen to a book several times.

I love the reader of John Grisham's books, and also the reader of Steven King's books.

I have a long commute, books on CDs make it tolerable. There is never a time when I am driving without a book.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Some of the readers on Librivox (free audio books) are great, while many others are not so good. I don't know if the good readers do this as a passion project, or are trying to break into the industry and get paid.
Some Librivox reader's are really bad. I would rather listen to computer text to speech than some of them.

I use AIReader sometimes.

Alreader.com - new perspective on reading e-books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books