U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,019,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Yes! I have stopped listening to several books because of the reader's poor performance. If they sound bored, or if they have a very heavy accent, or if they have an annoying tone, I suspend. On the other hand, if the reader is really good, I will sometimes listen to a book several times.

I love the reader of John Grisham's books, and also the reader of Steven King's books.

I have a long commute, books on CDs make it tolerable. There is never a time when I am driving without a book.
I have listened to John Grisham audio books, too. Yes, those books have excellent narrators. I am retired and seldom have a long drive anymore so all my audio book listening is done at home when I am either puttering around the house or relaxing. I have also listened to audio books more than once when the narrator is excellent, particularly Davina Porter on the Outlander series.

I guess that I've just gotten pickier over the years as to the kinds of voices that I like and don't like. Sometimes the accent is too heavy, the voice too whiny or too nasal-y or the narrator sounds like a seventh grader reading aloud in English class. The quality of the narrator's voice and ability to tell the story and hold the listener's attention makes or breaks a book and I do have to wonder why so many audio books are put out on the market with narrators that perform so poorly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM

1,865 posts, read 3,387,391 times
So, while this is not about narrators it does pertain to audiobooks. Hachette audio always makes me laugh, due to their sound effects. The first time I read one of their books I was truly startled by the automatic weapon sound effects and sometimes footsteps or other sounds.

It reminds me of old radio shows and it always catches me by surprise if I haven't listened to one of their books in a while.
What do you all think?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,019,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
So, while this is not about narrators it does pertain to audiobooks. Hachette audio always makes me laugh, due to their sound effects. The first time I read one of their books I was truly startled by the automatic weapon sound effects and sometimes footsteps or other sounds.

It reminds me of old radio shows and it always catches me by surprise if I haven't listened to one of their books in a while.
What do you all think?
I listened to a couple of excerpts on SoundCloud--the ones I listened to were EXCELLENT!! Thank you.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM

741 posts, read 2,880,445 times
Great thread! I won't listen to anything recorded by Flo Gibson (she did a lot of the classics). I tried to listen the "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte, but every voice she does just sounds like an old lady.

Similarly, Sandra Burr, who narrated "Olive Kitteridge" made her husband sound like he was 80 when he was suppposed to be in his 30s or 40s.

I do love Scott Brick who narrated 2 different types of books - "Atlas Shrugged" and "Somewhere in Time".

Old 06-08-2017, 04:22 AM

247 posts, read 88,921 times
I have listened to several books by Liane Moriarty (Big Little Lies, The Husband's Secret, Truly Madly Guilty) all great books that are read by Carolyn Lee. She has a beautiful Australian accent. Even my husband wanted to listen to the books after hearing her read.

Yes, I have stopped listening to books read by annoying readers.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:27 AM

247 posts, read 88,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Unless you have excellent speakers, REALLY excellent speakers, I think this might be part of the issue. I
never truly enjoy audio books over the car speakers, for example. I have found that the spoken word is more distorted on a PC or car radio than music is.

Not until I started listening on an iPod with good earbuds/headphones did I come to love audio books. They became like a movie in my head.

If you wanted to, I'm sure you could find an affordable older model of an iPod or a phone, that would still be able to support audio files or the Audible app. I'm not sure if you would WANT to listen to your books that way, but for me, it made a tremendous difference.
I also listed to books on my Ipod. I listen to it while walking, working around the house and can connect it to the car's audio system. Recently got a pair of wireless earphones.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 AM

938 posts, read 496,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Do you give up on an audio book if you don't like the narrator?
Yep. The reader can make or break the book.

Some really good readers that come to mind:
Rose Madder, by Stephen King, and read by Blair Brown. Listening to her voice was like falling into a dream.

Another Stephen King book: Delores Claiborne, read by Frances Sternhagen. Absolutely PERFECTLY read.

And the two Bobiverse books, by Dennis Taylor. Absolutely PERFECTLY read by Ray Porter.

I liked the way Mark Hammer read James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux books, but I like the way Will Patton reads them better. I remember listening to Mark Hammer read A Stained White Radiance, after listening to a really lousy audiobook, and being stunned at the difference a good reader can make.

Bad readers:
I've never particularly liked Frank Muller as a reader. I've also never really liked Scott Brick. Always seemed overly dramatic. Scott Brick read Salt Sugar Fat, a non-fiction book about how giant food companies hooked us on junk food, and he was WAY too dramatic for such dry material. I finished the book, because I was interested in the subject matter, but it would have been so much better with a different reader.

--

Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 PM

61 posts, read 105,258 times
I'm a huge audible fan. I can't stay focused on task unless I am listening to a book. I have to say that I like female narrators better than most male narrators. I do like Michael page though in the Juliet marillier books. For easy reads I listen to a lot of YA and I will listen to anything Emma galvin narrates, although some people can't stand her. I like Emily Rankin and Julia whelan, Emily woo zeller, Kate Rudd.. I have over 300 audiobooks so I'm not too picky.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 AM

1,865 posts, read 3,387,391 times
On the National Library for the Blind and Handicapped (NLB) there are many books read by volunteers. This is such a kind and generous thing for these people to do, but I just cannot listen to these books. Again, these volunteers are doing such a wonderful thing and I am certain that so many people can and do enjoy the books.

I cannot give you specific names, but there have been times when the narrator have an "old" voice (like a great grandmother) and when a sex scene comes along it is hysterical and appalling to hear the quavering voice describing desire is just...horrifying. I cannot fast forward quickly enough. TBH, I don't listen to sex scenes anyway, but the old voices just make things worse.

One last complaint: why oh why are accents so difficult? The southern accents are REALLY bad. My DH is a Bama boy and we live in Bama for part of the year. We were an Army family have have lived in KY, LA, AL,MO and travel frequently to GA, MS, AR and SC and have ever heard the exaggerated, syrupy accents portrayed in many books.

I'm certain that people familiar with other regions feel the same about their areas.

Rant over.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:06 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,781,359 times
For some reason, my husband and I were talking about the actor, Bronson Pinchot,last weekend and wondering what had happened to him. As it turns out, he's a prolific audio book narrator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronson_Pinchot

I rarely listen to an audio book, but I thought those of you that do might find that little fact interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or