Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

Well, we've had the Russians, the British, now let's explore some other European writers, their works and their genre from Western Europe (German, Dutch, Scandinavian etc--all included). Fortunately, we have some internationalists among us (come forward, please) and widely read members.

Here's a little known Dutch writer to add to our reading oeuvre:

Amazon.com: In the Dutch Mountains (Penguin International Writers): Cees Nooteboom,Adrienne Dixon: Books

Cees Nooteboom (Nut tree, trans.) has written several books translated into English, all of which get good reviews and are quite readable. A bit of a fantasy writer, worth exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I have only read one of Cees Nooteboom's books, and for the life of me, right now I can't remember what the title was. Will have to check on that once we have our bookshelves up and books FINALLY unpacked.
There are a couple of german authors I enjoy reading, Doris Dorrie, who writes books about love, passion, relationships, but not in the usual way, her books are very readable and a couple of them have been made into movies.

Another favorite of mine is Patrick Sueskind, I loved "the perfume"!

And I enjoy reading books by Henning Mankell, he writes mysteries, but my favorite of his is "chronicler of the wind" which tells the story of a 10 year old african boy. This might have been a good choice for the book club, too. ;-)

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
I don't know how 'modern' they would be considered, but I liked Remarque and Kafka.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM

Not very modern.

However, I did a thesis on Kafka and couldn't get enough of him in my Amerika days. I think I read The Hunger Artist ten times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I don't know how 'modern' they would be considered, but I liked Remarque and Kafka.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM

I can't wait for you to unpack, katzenfreund.

Henning Mankell has been mentioned twice today. I'll have to see what's around of his (he is a him, right) in the local shop and please colorado native.

I'm going to visit a literacy program in another town tomorrow to donate some of my read books, and they have a lovely collection of new and old books.

PS - I just looked up Susskind's Perfume. Did you read it in German?

What I'm finding with The Wall is the English translation is truly English (British by definition) and has a slightly different tone than if it had been translated by an American. Or I just may be nutz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I have only read one of Cees Nooteboom's books, and for the life of me, right now I can't remember what the title was. Will have to check on that once we have our bookshelves up and books FINALLY unpacked.
There are a couple of german authors I enjoy reading, Doris Dorrie, who writes books about love, passion, relationships, but not in the usual way, her books are very readable and a couple of them have been made into movies.

Another favorite of mine is Patrick Sueskind, I loved "the perfume"!

And I enjoy reading books by Henning Mankell, he writes mysteries, but my favorite of his is "chronicler of the wind" which tells the story of a 10 year old african boy. This might have been a good choice for the book club, too. ;-)

Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM

And Iris Murdoch. How could I forget Iris Murdoch?!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM

I would never forget her, however, I place her in Britain. I wonder if my geography is off as I nearly always separate the Isles from mainland Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
And Iris Murdoch. How could I forget Iris Murdoch?!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I can't wait for you to unpack, katzenfreund.

Henning Mankell has been mentioned twice today. I'll have to see what's around of his (he is a him, right) in the local shop and please colorado native.

I'm going to visit a literacy program in another town tomorrow to donate some of my read books, and they have a lovely collection of new and old books.

PS - I just looked up Susskind's Perfume. Did you read it in German?

What I'm finding with The Wall is the English translation is truly English (British by definition) and has a slightly different tone than if it had been translated by an American. Or I just may be nutz.

Yes, I do have the Perfume in German. It has been quite a while since I read it, need to read it again... I loved it at the time because it was so different than anything I had read before.

I am going to the library tomorrow and will try to get The Wall in English...(I am quite sure you are not "nutz" . )

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM

I read Perfume in English, and would love to compare the two. Having had the privilege to translate some, I think I am extra sensitive to word variance.

I'll be interested to hear what you think when you get the English version of The Wall. I am nearly finished with it...it is moving quickly.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I would never forget her, however, I place her in Britain. I wonder if my geography is off as I nearly always separate the Isles from mainland Europe.
As far as I know, Britain [and I believe she's actually Irish] is part of Europe. It certainly isn't American or Russian or African or Asian!

Just for curiosity's sake, what do you consider 'modern'? I've always considered anything post-WW I to be modern. And my favorite of Remarque's was All Quiet on the Western Front. I know it was devastating economically, but I always got a kick out of the idea of people taking their money in wheelbarrows to markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books