U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 AM

5,442 posts, read 5,587,114 times

Advertisements

I am currently reading The Soprano State by Bob Ingle & Sandy McClure. It reads like fiction and it is sad that it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,289,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
My copy of The Wall just arrived from Symposium. The condition is excellent. Looks like a brand new book.
I have ordered books from Symposium, also, tigerlily, including used books. I think they are an excellent source to use. I believe they are in Providence, RI.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM

13,119 posts, read 25,689,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I have ordered books from Symposium, also, tigerlily, including used books. I think they are an excellent source to use. I believe they are in Providence, RI.

That's where my copy of the Wall is coming from!! I found them on ebay & yes they are in RI

Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,352,453 times
Interesting.

Symposium may or may not be a store-front, but in the early 90s when I was a Rhode Islander I lived nearly around the corner from where this bookstore lists their address. This was then a neighbourhood in transition and had very few shops, let allow a bookstore. But it did have one fabulous market and a great coffee house.

They had a case of The Wall, according to my correspondence with them, and confirmed by a second-hand dealer here in my neck of the woods who was looking for the book for me early on.

They may be worth bookmarking for future books.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 AM

13,119 posts, read 25,689,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Interesting.

Symposium may or may not be a store-front, but in the early 90s when I was a Rhode Islander I lived nearly around the corner from where this bookstore lists their address. This was then a neighbourhood in transition and had very few shops, let allow a bookstore. But it did have one fabulous market and a great coffee house.

They had a case of The Wall, according to my correspondence with them, and confirmed by a second-hand dealer here in my neck of the woods who was looking for the book for me early on.

They may be worth bookmarking for future books.
Good idea, I just bookmarked them

Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 AM

Njkate and ontheroad, we have the same Symposium Bookstore in mind then. I found my invoice and they are in Providence and Ebay is where I ordered my books, also.

I spoke with the Symposium Bookstore personel on the phone directly because I received only a partial shipment. The store gave me a number for their Providence warehouse, at a different address, to track the rest of my order.

They were very professional and courteous about the mixup and overnighted the overlooked books to me at their expense.

I was quite pleased with their service.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 AM

I ran into some problems with my computer yesterday. We lost cable internet service 3 times throughout the day and last evening (3 hrs. last night!!).

Our internet provider says, as always, that there is nothing wrong with their system, so I will be in and out for part of the day checking out a new router. This will be router #3 in 2 years. I don't believe that this is typical for most customers.

I will be popping into the discussion thread for The Kite Runner frequently, however, but in my absence you might find me at Best Buy or Charter.

I really enjoyed yesterday's comments and want to thank everyone who participated. You all add to my enthusiasm for this bittersweet book.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM

5,256 posts, read 7,438,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's where my copy of the Wall is coming from!! I found them on ebay & yes they are in RI
Symposium in Providence is also a Barnes & Noble source and I have the discount card. I was pleased with the speedy delivery.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Symposium in Providence is also a Barnes & Noble source and I have the discount card. I was pleased with the speedy delivery.
I was very impressed with their service and delivery. I didn't think when I called to see if they had a storefront. But, the young lady answering the phone did announce "Symposium Bookstore". It would be nice to walk in and see what other out-of-print treasures they might have.

She did tell me that their warehouse at the other location handled all of their shipments from Ebay and Amazon orders. That leads me to think that they do have a traditional bookstore, as well.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,492,183 times
Hi Gem!

I just started reading Great Granny Webster by Caroline Blackwood.
Has anyone else read it?

I get all my harder to find (than usual) books from Powells. Sometimes I have been able to snag out of print stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or