U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times

Advertisements

One thing I really appreciate is that the kids, teens and those in their 20s/30s of today learned to use a keyboard even before starting school. The toys of today include games on things like the I-pad.

I'm old enough to remembering that the big present I got for high school graduation was an electric typewriter. That was totally "uptown Saturday night."

My father insisted I take typing in jr. high. So, I did and I am forever grateful for that. He used the "hunt and peck" method of typing and he wanted me to be able to type the correct way.

We got the Encyclopedia Britanica when I was in high school and I thought it was the neatest thing. I could look up anything in it but it took a while and my wrists got tired from holding the book. It's so much easier today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,627,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I kind of rotate among the three. I love Hidden Object games on the computer and I start my day with them. After I clear a screen I take one of my meds. LOL. That's how I get them down over the span of an hour or so with a couple of cups of coffee.

Then I watch the news on the TV for a couple of hours and then The View. Then I pick up Boris the Kindle and read a book for a couple of hours.

Throughout the day I do other things but always return to the book several times.

I was telling a friend today just how great the internet is. She does not use it. I use it all the time. When I run across something I'm not very familiar with in a book or on the news I research it on the internet. There is so much information available from so many sources these days. I love it!
Ahhhh, retirement. Where can I sign up????

Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Well, I did end up writing him back. I stayed strong for about an hour or so and then I realized that it would be RUDE not to thank him for saying that he loves how I write. So I wrote him to tell him that -- ONLY THAT.

(I haven't heard back from him. Yet. LOL!)
Oh so funny. Will Schwalbe is a funny, funny man.

On December 3 (an hour after I got his email), I responded with:

Quote:
Will, I know that you’re not looking for a pen pal so I was trying to fight the urge to reply to your reply (ha! It’s like sending a thank-you note thanking the person for THEIR thank-you note), but I couldn’t let it go without a “thank you” for saying that you like how I write. That was really nice of you to say; I’m flattered. Thank you.

And happy holidays to you too.

Dawn
Just a few minutes ago, he responded:

Quote:
Dear Dawn:

At the risk of crossing and totally ignoring my own advice in my previous book, the one about email, this email is indeed a thank you for your thank you to my thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Will
This is hilarious!!!!

Should I write him AGAIN????

Last edited by DawnMTL; 12-16-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,900,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh so funny. Will Schwalbe is a funny, funny man.

On December 3 (an hour after I got his email), I responded with:

Just a few minutes ago, he responded:

This is hilarious!!!!

Should I write him AGAIN????
It is so hilarious!!!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times
I watched a special last night on PBS titled "Hey, Boo." It's about Nelle Harper Lee and her book To Kill A Mockingbird. That is my favorite book of all time. I already knew quite a bit about Harper Lee. I knew that the character "Dill" was based on her childhood friend Truman Capote. I knew that "Finch" was her mother's maiden name.

What I didn't know was that Scout was not based on Harper Lee. Nope. Oddly, the character in the book that was based on Harper Lee was Boo Radley.

Lee had apparently not really mentioned this to anyone and if she did, they didn't repeat it. Most folks, like me, assumed Scout was Harper. However, the folks who knew her well must have known this.

Oprah was attempting to talk Harper into being interviewed on her show. They met at The Four Seasons in NYC for lunch to talk it over. After an hour or so Harper Lee told Oprah that she (Harper) was the character "Boo Radley." And, that is why she would not do the interview. Oprah understood immediately and so did I as soon as I heard it. How wonderful it is after 50 years of reading this book that I now understand something so monumental and fundamental about it.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

64 posts, read 185,303 times
Has anyone read wake and Lullaby by Amanda Hocking,they are so good,I would recamende them to anyone.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 AM

5,934 posts, read 6,949,492 times
Well, this is kind of embarrassing - hubby is gone for a week and I decided to paint his office. His office also serves as the primary library in our house, with one wall lined with English language books and the other with German language books. In order to paint, I have to move all those books (). But the point is that I'm finding a lot of very interesting books that I don't recall having read.

I probably don't need to buy any books for the rest of this year, by the looks of things.

Of course, the bad part is I no longer see how I will have the time to paint his office, move all the books BACK, and install the new desk I would like to install. I vastly underestimated the amount of books I have to move and the time it would take.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm finding a lot of very interesting books that I don't recall having read.
You know what freaks me out, now that I'm in my (ahem) late 40s? I don't recall having read MOST books. It doesn't mean that I haven't read them, though. It just means that I don't remember.

You've got enough going on, without moving a million books, painting a room, and installing a desk. Take a breather. Curl up on the couch with a book (!) and a pup (!!) and relax.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 AM

^^ I vaguely remember when I first placed the books there, trying to keep a balance between my very best-loved books, those I might want to read or refer to again, and new books that I intended to read. My idea was that would be a way to keep the coffee table/couch area where I usually read neat, if I actually placed my to-read books in an actual book shelf. But I think I forgot where I placed them, as I also placed everything alphabetically, so my best-loved was mixed in with my to-read.

And I can't decide whether, when I put them back, if I should put them alphabetically again, or maybe I need a best-loved section separate from a to-read section.

I think I might try to remember to list the titles of really interesting books in this forum as I come across them again when I put them back. In the meantime, my removal of books started off in an organized way, but has regressed to my simply putting stacks and stacks of books on the floor of the spare room. No one has enough boxes for all my books. I think I am going to have to steel myself against the trauma of it all and actually get rid of some of the least-loved.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Well. . Not a single book is back in the office yet. Not one. I've been a little sick (migraines). I can't seem to shake them. I think I had my neck bent too long when I was painting.

Stepson gave hubby an ipad with a Kindle app on it. Hubby doesn't know what to do with it - the ipad - at all. I looked it over and just can't see myself holding that thing to read. But I did download Wool, Ketabcha. You had loved the story, I remember, but I read the comments about bad spelling and didn't want to pay for a hard copy I might find unreadable, so this is my effort to try out the concept of the Kindle. I don't know how similar reading on the ipad would be to an actual Kindle device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or