U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well. . Not a single book is back in the office yet. Not one. I've been a little sick (migraines). I can't seem to shake them. I think I had my neck bent too long when I was painting.

Stepson gave hubby an ipad with a Kindle app on it. Hubby doesn't know what to do with it - the ipad - at all. I looked it over and just can't see myself holding that thing to read. But I did download Wool, Ketabcha. You had loved the story, I remember, but I read the comments about bad spelling and didn't want to pay for a hard copy I might find unreadable, so this is my effort to try out the concept of the Kindle. I don't know how similar reading on the ipad would be to an actual Kindle device.
Unfortunately there are some kindle books that have not been edited well....some appear not to be edited at all but I still can't seem to stop downloading them, Net.

I've found so many gems among those kindle books. Of all things, the grammar error that bothers me the most is when writers use "than" rather than "then." It happens all the time and I'm trying to overlook it but it is hard to do.

I hope you enjoy Wool as much as I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,900,902 times
Gave my niece The Fufkin Diaries for her birthday today. I still have to read it myself. I did buy it, but I've been reading my library books first since they are short-term rentals. But my niece adores her pups so I figured she'd love it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Gave my niece The Fufkin Diaries for her birthday today. I still have to read it myself. I did buy it, but I've been reading my library books first since they are short-term rentals. But my niece adores her pups so I figured she'd love it.
Oh my gosh.

Thank you. It's really written so very poorly (as I said before: no pretty prose or clever turns of phrases) but I hope it's good for a giggle, at least.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh my gosh.

Thank you. It's really written so very poorly (as I said before: no pretty prose or clever turns of phrases) but I hope it's good for a giggle, at least.
I'm not worried. I know we will like it.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,627,381 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh.

I haven't downloaded it yet because the Kindle is linked to my husband's Amazon account and I don't know the password. But I'm going to and I'm going to recommend it to some of the rescue groups I support.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM

So, why is it that the best books -- the ones we (or at least *I*) want to read -- are the ones that we don't have yet? You know the ones -- the ones that are being mailed to you by a publisher friend, the ones on hold for you at the library, the ones that aren't released yet. However, the hundreds -- yes, HUNDREDS -- of books that you have on-hand, even though you KNOW that they're GREAT books, they've got fabulous reviews and/or have been highly recommended, hold no interest for you? They're either too long for your current attention span, they're not the *type* of book you're in the mood for, or whatever... You only want the ones that you can't have. (Kind of like Brad Pitt or whoever your heartthrob is.)

Um. Is it just ME?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
So, why is it that the best books -- the ones we (or at least *I*) want to read -- are the ones that we don't have yet? You know the ones -- the ones that are being mailed to you by a publisher friend, the ones on hold for you at the library, the ones that aren't released yet. However, the hundreds -- yes, HUNDREDS -- of books that you have on-hand, even though you KNOW that they're GREAT books, they've got fabulous reviews and/or have been highly recommended, hold no interest for you? They're either too long for your current attention span, they're not the *type* of book you're in the mood for, or whatever... You only want the ones that you can't have. (Kind of like Brad Pitt or whoever your heartthrob is.)

Um. Is it just ME?
Um, no. Not just you. Except since I've started going to the library or getting ebooks from the library, I've not been without something I've been excited to read in a while. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough, but for now I'm enjoying it. Hubby keeps pointing out that I have "tons" of books on my bookshelves, but yup, they just aren't it for me these days. At least the library is free so he can't get on my case about spending money on more books I'm not reading.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,053,848 times
So I'm seriously considering reading the 'world's longest novel,' In Search of Lost Time, just to say that I did it. Has anyone read it, is it actually a good book?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
So I'm seriously considering reading the 'world's longest novel,' In Search of Lost Time, just to say that I did it. Has anyone read it, is it actually a good book?
Are you talking about Proust's book? In Remembrance of Times Past? The French title is a mouthful and the title has a few different translation. I don't speak French so I remember it as something like A la reuschere du la tempe verdu. I read the English translations.

LOL. Yeah, I read it years ago. It is very, very long but it is a remarkable book. Proust was a magnificent author.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM

You know what I love? When, while you're reading a book, a character in said book makes mention of ANOTHER book. And, when you go to look it up because you'd never heard of it before, you say, "YEAH! I want to read that!" (I'm not talking about The End of Your Life Book Club references because, well, we KNEW that was going to happen.)

I'm currently reading Brain on Fire, in which All the Names by Jose Saramago was mentioned. It sounds fascinating AND they have it at my library. SCORE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or