Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times

Advertisements

This online book discussion has been great. Thanks so much for a brilliant idea, on the road.

I am really looking forward to knocking heads together. . .err, putting our heads together, with gemkeeper, on this next Hosseini work. I read it years ago, and loved it, and could never find anyone to discuss the book with me. So, this will be a real treat.

I was in SAM's yesterday with my husband, and darned if I didn't stumble upon a copy of Suite Francaise for roughly $9.00. Last one. I grabbed it, and only realized after I got home with the work, it is a large print edition. I hope the print won't bother me. I wear glasses, but not to read -- lucky me. Anyway, I have this copy if any one would rather have a large print edition.

In anticipation of the discussion on Khaled Hosseini's work, I might suggest you take a peek at a site called Reading Guides, where a number of reading guides have been posted for hundreds of works, including this one. I'd wait until you've finished the book, however.

Gem and I also suggested you venture onto Hosseini's own website. You could read about the author, his motivations, own experiences growing up in Afghanistan, and returning as an adult/author now. There are several places to click on his site, and you won't spoil your reading by reading about him. Again, I might wait until you have finished the book to read comments on The Kite Runner.

At some point, I'd like to be able to see the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The dates look great to me, too.

Can someone sell me a copy of The Wall? Please DM me.
me as well..I can not find it anywhere

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Send gemkeeper a DM. I believe she's got hold of a few copies.

Also a bookseller in Providence (RI) appears to have a case of them and offering them for 4.99/per book plus shipping. I got my copy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
me as well..I can not find it anywhere

Old 03-14-2008, 12:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
I just order a copy of The Wall yesterday at B&N. The Symposium site in R.I. was linked to the B&N website. I paid $7.98 including shipping to Portland. The book will ship by 3/17. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
My first copy came from a bookstore in Stanford, CT .It is in brand-new beautiful condition. You would never know that it was a used book. The cover has never been creased and the library sign-out sheet in the library pocket has no signatures on it.

I hope the extra copies I ordered, which should be here early next week, are as fine as this copy is. Very pleased.

Now, to move onto my reading. I have 4 books on the go right now and had better put one to bed for awhile or you will all be seeing some very daffy posts from me!!

By the way, I have placed two of The Wall copies that I am expecting in good homes, but will have a third soon, also, if anyone still needs to adopt one. Just DM me and I will be happy to send it off to you when it arrives.

Thanks, katz, for urging us to consider this book. I think it will be wonderful as a discussion book.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 03-14-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: location mistake

Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM

It sounds as if you may have gotten a hardback copy, gemkeeper, from the CT dealer.

The copy I got from Rhode Island is paper back, never read, unusued and as clean as a freshly laundered white sheet.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM

Well, well, it looks as if at least two of our book reading members have been given a CD gift certificate.

Congratulations and may the sheaves fly.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Actually, my copy is a paperback also, ontheroad, but looks as though it was never even looked at, which is a shame. Very fortunate for me, as I also have one that looks as fresh as a laundered white sheet!

Congratulations, readers who received the C-D gift for a shopping spree at Overstock. I received one in December and was absolutely thrilled! You will have a great time book shopping, electronics shopping, new bedding shopping, whatever you desire. It is a nice surprise to receive the gift certificate and very thoughtful of the Administrator to treat so many excellent posters on C-D.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Congrats to the lucky winners!
Gemkeeper, I am glad to hear you think the Wall will make for a good discussion. I am looking forward to hearing every one's view about it. Equally as interesting will be the views on the Kite Runner and the other books we picked. I always wanted to belong to a book club and finally I have a chance to do this ;-))))

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I am very happy that you will be joining the discussion, katzenfreund. I know that it will be very interesting. Only about 10 days until we begin our discussion of The Kite Runner. I hope that everyone will have the opportunity to obtain a copy by then. It is a wonderful book.

I am so anxious to start reading The Wall; I have so many books on the go. I do think that I will have to read at least 20 pages or so for the flavor of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books