U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,483,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Hope you can find things after the move, karibear. I'm still looking for stuff, and I've been in this house almost two years now.

When everything's in, shut and lock the doors, and go soak in a nice warm bath. Enjoy the new place!
I keep telling myself it's going to be an adventure. We moved to the Lower 48 from AK for health reasons, then finally a year ago got the last of our stuff shipped down to WA. By that time, DH was bedridden, and I had over 4,000 lbs of stuff to do something with! Just tools and books and odds and ends, but from a 2,000+sf house - no furniture - into a 1,000 sf house. He died last Nov, now I have all that stuff, plus another 1,000 lbs - at least - of more stuff! I figure it will take me years to sort through it all, and a lot will end up on ebay or craigslist. Just to make it more interesting, I know what town I'll end up in, but I can't buy a house until I actually go and look at it in person - then it will take two months for it to close, so I may be hooked back up to the internet, but I won't have a permanent address until after closing and I get moved in. Picky, picky, people.

I'm keeping out a bunch of audiobooks so I won't go completely nuts, waiting. [My token 'on topic' comment.]

[this is my last big adventure, this is my last big adventure, this is my last big advent......]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 06:04 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,289,999 times
Oh, my, karibear. I'm sorry that you have had a sad adventure this past year. My sympathies are with you. It must have been a very difficult time for you to lose your husband.

I certainly hope that you are able to find a new home in less time than the anticipated 2 months. How about a condo? Would that work for you?

Do Not forget the public library to use for computer time if you find yourself without a hook-up for yours for awhile. Public libraries have been a life-saver for me when we travel. Every one that I have visited has been very obliging about computer use and lending books (when I have an extended stay). They have always honored my local library card.

Audio books are a great idea. What would we do without them? I love to use audio books when driving because I hate to miss the scenery by reading the miles away.

I hope that you find good homes for all of your unwanted tools, furniture, and sundry stuff! This is always the most tedious task of moving, I think! Wish we were there to help. You will at least be in my thoughts and prayers as you go about your move.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,483,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Oh, my, karibear. I'm sorry that you have had a sad adventure this past year. My sympathies are with you. It must have been a very difficult time for you to lose your husband.

I certainly hope that you are able to find a new home in less time than the anticipated 2 months. How about a condo? Would that work for you?

Do Not forget the public library to use for computer time if you find yourself without a hook-up for yours for awhile. Public libraries have been a life-saver for me when we travel. Every one that I have visited has been very obliging about computer use and lending books (when I have an extended stay). They have always honored my local library card.

Audio books are a great idea. What would we do without them? I love to use audio books when driving because I hate to miss the scenery by reading the miles away.

I hope that you find good homes for all of your unwanted tools, furniture, and sundry stuff! This is always the most tedious task of moving, I think! Wish we were there to help. You will at least be in my thoughts and prayers as you go about your move.
To touch on a few of the things you mentioned, it takes 2 months to close - no one seems to ever think of having title searches, etc, done in anticipation of selling there. I couldn't think of living in a condo, I need some land around me - I'm not a hermit, but after 30+ years in Alaska, I need my space! And once I get finally settled, I'll be able to use the state's talking book library, they'll just transfer my membership. But they'll need an address to send things to!

I don't know about the tools, DH made jewelry and it's primarily for working stone and ivory - I may try it myself, I don't know yet. Back when we were still in AK, he made the components and I did the assembling. Now I wish I'd paid more attention to his part - the cutters, tumblers, grinders, etc. As for the rest of it, we only kept what was most important - and just today, my sister called and asked me, once I got a house, if I wanted her to ship me a whole houseful of furniture my mother had left! It's truly amazing how stuff grows, when one least expects it. Fortunately, we didn't really accumulate much in the way of furniture here, and the only things I'd planned to take were a bed and my computer desk. But there's still all that trivia that has memories I'm not ready to part with...

Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,352,453 times
Jewelers tool are so wonderful to own. You might get into the work yourself, but if not, a reputable sale might do.

Sorry to hear how difficult this is, and I know what its like to move: I've done it three times since retirement and don't feel the least bit settled.

As one friend on here often says, "take gentle care" and shout out if there is anything I can offer in the way of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
To touch on a few of the things you mentioned, it takes 2 months to close - no one seems to ever think of having title searches, etc, done in anticipation of selling there. I couldn't think of living in a condo, I need some land around me - I'm not a hermit, but after 30+ years in Alaska, I need my space! And once I get finally settled, I'll be able to use the state's talking book library, they'll just transfer my membership. But they'll need an address to send things to!

I don't know about the tools, DH made jewelry and it's primarily for working stone and ivory - I may try it myself, I don't know yet. Back when we were still in AK, he made the components and I did the assembling. Now I wish I'd paid more attention to his part - the cutters, tumblers, grinders, etc. As for the rest of it, we only kept what was most important - and just today, my sister called and asked me, once I got a house, if I wanted her to ship me a whole houseful of furniture my mother had left! It's truly amazing how stuff grows, when one least expects it. Fortunately, we didn't really accumulate much in the way of furniture here, and the only things I'd planned to take were a bed and my computer desk. But there's still all that trivia that has memories I'm not ready to part with...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 AM

5,137 posts, read 10,495,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I keep telling myself it's going to be an adventure. We moved to the Lower 48 from AK for health reasons, then finally a year ago got the last of our stuff shipped down to WA. By that time, DH was bedridden, and I had over 4,000 lbs of stuff to do something with! Just tools and books and odds and ends, but from a 2,000+sf house - no furniture - into a 1,000 sf house. He died last Nov, now I have all that stuff, plus another 1,000 lbs - at least - of more stuff! I figure it will take me years to sort through it all, and a lot will end up on ebay or craigslist. Just to make it more interesting, I know what town I'll end up in, but I can't buy a house until I actually go and look at it in person - then it will take two months for it to close, so I may be hooked back up to the internet, but I won't have a permanent address until after closing and I get moved in. Picky, picky, people.

I'm keeping out a bunch of audiobooks so I won't go completely nuts, waiting. [My token 'on topic' comment.]

[this is my last big adventure, this is my last big adventure, this is my last big advent......]
Wow, Karibear, you have had a rough year, I am so sorry about your husband! Best of luck in finding the perfect place and I hope you will be very happy in your new home/area!

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,352,453 times
Just a gentle reminder:

The discussion on the Kite Runner will open on this Tuesday, March 25.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Finally, our new discussion!! Thanks for sharing the reminder, ontheroad. I hope that everyone who wanted to participate has obtained a copy of The Kite Runner.

I am anxious to begin looking at some of the Afghani background history, the story's main characters, and the symbolism Hosseini wove into this lovely novel.

RDSLOTS and I will be very pleased to see many eager readers on Tuesday.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 PM

5,137 posts, read 10,495,553 times
Looking forward to discussing this with all of you. I am enjoying the book and am almost done....

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 AM

10,289 posts, read 22,871,880 times
Darn, don't have that book yet.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Smile Plenty of time, Pinkstring!

I'm glad to hear that you will be joining in the discussion, katzenfreund!

Pinkstring, most libraries carry more than one copy of The Kite Runner because it was such a big seller when it was released. Plus, all of the bookstores that I frequent seem to always have the paper back on sale. I suppose they had overstocked and are trying to get rid of some inventory.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a copy. There is still plenty of time to read it (a very quick read) and join in. I am sure that the discussion will continue for, at least, two weeks.

So, my friend, feel free to read and join in anytime. We will be happy for all comments and ideas about this wonderful story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or