Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM

252 posts, read 123,982 times

Advertisements

Secrets of an Economic Hitman was SHOCKING to me and changed how I look at the US government and actions around the world and in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Johnny Cash's Man in Black: His Own Story in His Own Words
Not a life changer for me but I loved that book.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
The Hobbit, because it turned me into a recreational reader when I was 12. Before that, I had hated reading.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:41 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Living on the Ragged Edge by Charles Swindoll.
https://www.amazon.com/Living-Ragged.../dp/0849945402

The Street Lawyer by John Grisham
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Street_Lawyer

So many people live their lives trying to impress others but only the truth counts. And it doesn't really matter if others know how good you are or not. To thine own self be true. Solomon was the wisest man in the world but he almost lost his kingdom because he did not obey God. The only thing that saved him was being the son of David.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." Harry S Truman, 33rd president of US (1884 - 1972)

A similar quote is credited to Bob Woodruff, Coca Cola CEO 1926 -1954. "There is no limit to what a man can achieve as long as he doesn't care who get's the credit"

Last edited by NCN; 07-09-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Also, I don't know that I would say it "changed my life," but a book that really stuck with me is Civility: Morals, Manners, and the Etiquette of Democracy by Stephen Carter. After reading that book I became more aware of those certain little behaviors that are not unethical or immoral, necessarily...not wrong or illegal...but uncivil. Like (and this is maybe a silly example), leaving the grocery store cart in the parking lot rather than returning it to a corral or to the store. Left in the lot, it can impede or inconvenience another shopper, or it can roll and crash into a car and cause property damage, or the store staff has to spend time rounding up the cart (which means they're not inside assisting customers by bagging groceries or whatever). My mom used to say, "My rights leave off where another person's rights begin." So you may have "the right" to leave your cart in the empty parking space next to your car, but not if that means someone else isn't going to be able to park in that spot because the cart is in the way. Anyway, the book really made me recognize the importance of personal responsibility as a means of getting along in and contributing to the smooth running of a society.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:54 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

by Ishmael Beah

http://www.ishmaelbeah.com/

I read this book last year. It's the true story of a 12-year old boy (Beah), who was captured by terrorist soldiers during the civil war in Sierra Leone. Beah and his young friends were drugged, brainwashed and trained to terrorize and slaughter innocent people during the war. The first-hand accounts are graphic, horrifying and gut-wrenching. Beah was eventually rescued and escaped the army. The story continues through his intensive therapy, which finally led to a breakthrough and his return to a life of trust and compassion.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-10-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed. (It was also made into a movie).

The basic message that resonated so strongly with me is, get out and have an adventure. You can do it. Just put one foot in front of the other. And on and on.

And then, Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. Based on an advice column she wrote. Honestly, the kindest, most empathic book ever written.

What a really powerful thread, OP.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Mircea Eliade's The Myth of the Eternal Return, a small book with a grand vision of the roots of religion. I read it in high school, and it set me on a path of critical thinking and cultural studies. If I had read Joseph Campbell first, he probably would have had the same effect on me.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:53 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
The Holy Bible,Dave Ramsey books."Claytie:The Roller-Coaster Life of a Texas wildcatter" inspired me to try to become a oilman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books