U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 07:13 AM

14,534 posts, read 16,673,822 times

Advertisements

Obviously a professorial cover identity for a NSA special operative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM

12,184 posts, read 6,645,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Obviously a professorial cover identity for a NSA special operative.

Well, as things go, one of my brothers has told me that he would not be surprised if he found out I worked for CIA, INTERPOL, someone like that.

It is the A, B, C (all puns intended) of it. A: I read a lot. B: I remember a lot. C: For what A says but doesn't say and for what C says but doesn't say, I am often able to see the unseen words between the two.

Back to the topic, as I see things on the shelf that are far out of date (a stats book from 1997, a cybernetics book from 1977), I'm pulling them from the shelf and dropping them in a recycle box. It is a drop in the bucket....but one has to start somewhere.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-30-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM

Something I discovered (re?) tonight which will slowly help is that when things seem boring or alone or lost or the like, pick up a book and just start reading.

Out here in the country and with my solitary life, things can seem lost when there is no one to talk to on the Net, when there is nothing to do especially when a detox clock has kicked in, when the night falls and things get quiet. In our modern world, we can forget about what it means to get lost in a book, read of another world, another life. In our modern world, the diversion is not to pick up a book but to see what is on the telly.

Now with a huge library, one that is fed by book sales and the like, one would think that we don't need reminding of that......but apparently I do. Further, it is something to remember at work when watchdog mode kicks in and the hours drag on and I'm idly surfing the net to pass the time. Pick up a book and read.

It won't shrink the library over night but it is a start.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 AM

14,534 posts, read 16,673,822 times
I too seek solace when I'm lonesome or when life is giving me so much trouble that I need to escape into another world for a time out. It doesn't solve any of my problems but at least it gives me temporary relief.

I'm lucky that even if I heavily weeded my physical library I would discard only a very few books—because I already got rid of the non-essentials when I moved a few years ago. The few non-essentials that are left wouldn't have any impact on the space in my bookshelves, except maybe I'd have more room for a few objets d'art.

I wouldn't add any new books to my library unless they are non-fiction, and I have no new interests at the time and have already completed my reference series on my current interests.

My new system (last few years) works well. I get perhaps 90% of my fiction from public libraries via ebooks, and can check them out again if I want to read them again. Since ebooks don't wear out or require any space to store them I can't see any reason for libraries to discard them—and they cannot be resold so the library can't include ebooks in book sales.

As far as the ebooks I purchase, I can delete them from my reader but they will always be there to download again from Amazon (my sole source of ebooks) as long as I maintain my account.

And finally, I keep a diary of all books I've read (going back 20-25 years) so that's my virtual bookshelf. I don't need any physical shelf where I can run my finger across the spines of my books and select one for re-reading.

By the way, some may not know this. You can highlight ebooks, you can make notes (similar to writing in the margin). Even with library ebooks they'll still be there if you check them out again. I use Overdrive to get library books and Overdrive books are delivered by Amazon. Amazon keeps a database associated with your account that preserves notes and highlights.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

I am glad that you find so much joy in E-Books; they are just not for me. There is just, for me, so much in what Giles said in Buffy TVS "I Robot, You Jane".

As it goes, I'm reading "Quarantined Planet" by Murray Leinster (The Mutant Weapon, which I read in 4th grade, being part of it) and "Jaws" by Peter Benchley. Picked the latter off the shelf last night and tossed it into my backpack so I would have a choice of books to read at work.

Pulling one's self away from the Net is a toughie! This morning at work, I played endless Freecell games before I turned to Jaws. I could have done 2-3 hours of reading instead of just 1.

One thing about paperback reading is the book mark one picks out. It may be just a simple piece of paper or it may be something of memories such as a movie stub, such as a movie one saw with Mom. The two bookmarks for the books above are Playboy "postcard" flyers (if "you" have read me enough, you know that such is the basis for my independent streak).

One thing about physical book reading, especially hardbacks, is the ability to use book plates. Granted, if one is using such, odds are that book is not going to leave the library (but you never can tell) but they are something that make the book more to the individual.

In any event, whatever makes us read, be it the story, the fantasy, the dreams we experience when we pick up a book, whatever, contributes to the attrition to the library.........as slow as it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or