Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

I have often been puzzled by people who do not grasp Wodehouse's unique comic genius and his love of language and was wondering how many of my American friends in particular on this forum share my love for his peculiarily British sense of humour ?

I was disappointed that two of my very good American friends seem totally immune to his brand of literary exhuberance and it makes me ponder whether some books just do not always "translate" well enough to cross continents ?

Any devotee of Bertie, Jeeves, Bingo, Lord Emsworth, The Empress of Blandings, Psmith, Gussie Fink-Nottle and Roderick Spode ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 AM

I guess this answers my question !! Could this be the least successful thread ever ?!?!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
No, wait! I AM! I just didn't see the thread!

I have actually chilled a bottle of champagne a la Jeeves, it was one of my finest moments

Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I've always intended to read Wodehouse, I've just haven't gotten to him yet, I swear. (I do love E.F. Benson and Nancy Mitford, so I'm not an entirely lost cause.) Where would you suggest a greenhorn start?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,731 times
I'm American, and have loved Wodehouse for years! A friend in college, in about 1993, had parents who ran a used book store. He brought a Jeeves and Wooster compendium from the store, I read one story, and was hooked! I've read all the J & W material many times, and prefer them to his other works. Never much liked the Hugh Laurie TV adaptions...

Joe

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've always intended to read Wodehouse, I've just haven't gotten to him yet, I swear. (I do love E.F. Benson and Nancy Mitford, so I'm not an entirely lost cause.) Where would you suggest a greenhorn start?
Start, IMO, with one of the Jeeves and Wooster short story collections. As I mentioned above, that's how I was hooked.

Joe

Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhomer View Post
Start, IMO, with one of the Jeeves and Wooster short story collections. As I mentioned above, that's how I was hooked.

Joe
I am so glad I am not alone !

I agree with your recommendations. Start with "The man with two left feet", "The inimitable Jeeves" and "Carry on Jeeves".

I would also really recommend the "Blandings" series starting with "Something fresh", "Leave it to Psmith" and "Summer lighting". Lord Emsworth and his beloved "Empress of Blandings" are wonderful characters.

You must be willing to abandon all sense of seriousness and be prepared for the silliest ride in the English language though. Be warned ! And Enjoy..... Wodehouse is a master of language and he takes the art of comic writing to a new level.

When I feel really down I just pick up some of his books and will always find myself giggling to myself very quickly. Perfect for blowing the cobwebs.

I also recommend "Jeeves and Wooster" with Hugh Laurie as Bertie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. An absolute tour de force of an adaptation and the best by far IMO.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm already giggling just from memory!

I found these books during my teen years when we had Sustained Silent Reading in public HS. I could not bring these books to school because I simply could not read them silently!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
I'm already giggling just from memory!

I found these books during my teen years when we had Sustained Silent Reading in public HS. I could not bring these books to school because I simply could not read them silently!
I was devastated a year back or so that John Lithgow a great Wodehouse fan , came to London to read some of the material at the PG Wodehouse society and I missed it ! I would have loved it.

Some of Jeeves' finest disaproving moments.

Jeeves disapproves - YouTube

Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM

I've never lost my 'inner Jeeves' LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books