Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in discussing a children's book in an online book club?
Yes! 4 66.67%
No! 0 0%
Maybe so...... 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,412 times

Advertisements

As we started to discuss in another thread, would any of you be interested in discussing children's books in a book club form? If so could you throw out the names of the books you would be interested in? If there is enough interest I will make a poll with the books suggested and we will go from there! THanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 03:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Great idea, little_thirsty.

Many thanks for taking the lead on this possibility.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
Thanks little_thirsty. I voted yes and will go home and check my children's literature stock. I know I have a few because I am saving for my future children (I even bought my favorite Frog & Toad series. )

Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Hmm, I dunno...put me down for a good solid "maybe".

It would totally depend on my having read the book, my kid's having a strong feeling towards the book, or if I would be reading it anyway.

For example, Island of the Blue Dolphins is on my "to be read SOON" shelf, and my son recently read it, so if that is a choice then YES!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
As we started to discuss in another thread, would any of you be interested in discussing children's books in a book club form? If so could you throw out the names of the books you would be interested in? If there is enough interest I will make a poll with the books suggested and we will go from there! THanks all!
Children's lit is great. I had a couple courses in it in college long ago. But once again, I will abstain from voting, this time not because I wouldn't be able to read it so much as that I'm about to move - will be on the road by the end of this month - and may not be hooked back up to the internet until June.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Default Sounds great! I'll check my shelves. . .

I'm game. Love children's books -- I take it kiddie lit runs the gamut from conception-to-death?

Seriously, this might be fun. I'd even like to do a children's lit author's autobio or bio, if you can follow that.

Just pondering when I'll be sleeping, with all of these fan-tab-u-lous book discussions. At my age, though, I guess it's more like 'if' I'll be sleeping.

It might be fun to start with something humorous. I'll throw Raold Dahl out there -- any of his works. Or we could pencil-in his The Witches for close to Halloween?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,412 times
OHHHH I love that idea RDSLOTS! This is so exciting to me. I love kids books! I will wait a little bit longer to see if anyone else jumps on the reading rainbow with us and then post a poll with all these great suggestions!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I voted "maybe" - it depends on what it would be and if I have the time...but it's a great idea!

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
OK, some children's authors' bios and autobios might include Roald Dahl's Boy, I think it's called, and then there's the cookbook his granddaughter put together, which is a scream -- recipes based on Dahl's children's books. I also got a big kick out of Walter Dean Myers's autobiography. I would share the chapter with my 9th graders, where he describes being constantly in trouble at school.

Maya Angelou's Caged Bird is good, too. I love her description of living in a junkyard in CA at age 15.

I still haven't climbed upstairs to check my kiddie lit shelves.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I have Roal Dahl's Boy, Witches, and the cook book (revolting recipies?) on my shelf! And never readd the first two!

I also came across Bud, Not Buddy which I got awhile ago and intended to read with my son...think he read it but I didn't. It is one that I am hoping to read soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books