Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times

Advertisements

The World According to Garp because it has stuck with me for almost 40 years. I still have dreams about this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 PM

475 posts, read 648,488 times
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Winds of War and War and Remembrance, though I have many other favorites too numerous to list. These are the ones that stand out in my mind the most. I read these three books 40 years or more ago!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
The Thornbirds

(everything else is simply 'fluff' by comparison)

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The Thornbirds

(everything else is simply 'fluff' by comparison)
I will say, that comes close to the top of my list.

Also "Captains and The Kings" by Taylor Caldwell. Both are on my reread list.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM

71 posts, read 65,116 times
Eureka street is a good one.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
The World According to Garp because it has stuck with me for almost 40 years. I still have dreams about this book.
That book was a changer for me, too. I was a reader in high school, so I did already enjoy books, but my mom gave that book to me when I was 18 and it first came out, and I had no idea someone could tell a story that well. John Irving continues to be a favorite - his stories are so compelling and funny/sad/empathetic. Hotel New Hampshire is also a favorite - with the girl who kept shrinking, the prostitutes, the girl/bear. He draws you in further and further until he is saying absolutely ridiculous things and you didn't realize how far afield from reality you've come. ;D

Old 02-24-2018, 01:16 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
The best novel I ever read was a trilogy that is now together as one complete novel. It is called The Heaven Tree and was written back in the early 60's by Edith Pargeter, who later became better known as Ellis Peters for her Brother Cadfael mysteries.

She explains in a foreword that in the 12th century in England near the Welsh Marches there was a style of stone sculpture popular for a time known as "stiff leaf", vines and leaves carved of stone. She created a story of one such artist. It is a magnificent story with complex characters, and to this day I have never read a better, more unexpected and moving death scene.

https://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Trilog...ustomerReviews

My second place would be The Prince of Tides.

Some of Pat Conroy's language is pure poetry, but the story and depth of emotions and the characters he created are simply amazing.

For those who have seen the movie and so think they know the story, understand that the character to whom the title refers does not even appear in the film. The movie is a small piece of the book. That book has stayed with me for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Tides-.../dp/0553381547

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-24-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 PM

174 posts, read 590,604 times
In my opinion:

Best Dialogue
The Digger's Game - George V Higgins

Loneliest
Martin Eden - Jack London

Most Intriguing
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - John le Carre

Best Minimalist
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemmingway

Best Fantasy
The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Weirdest
Sandkings - George R.R. Martin

Most Depressing (tie)
The Old Curiosity Shop - Charles Dickens
1984 - George Orwell

Best Sandwiches (also good crime novels)
The Deadly Sins series - Lawrence Sanders

Old 02-24-2018, 06:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I loved that book too, along with her classic "The House of the Spirits" (which you should definitely read if you haven't yet). Try these on for size:

Life after Life - Kate Atkinson
Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay
The Shoemaker's Wife - Adriana Trigiani
The Light Between Oceans - ML Stedman
Under the Wide and Starry Sky - Nancy Horan
Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline

If you want any more recommendations, lemme know! I do this for a living, so happy to help.
Please keep them coming I loved Orphan Train and Sarah's Key. One of my favorites was Tara Road. I also loved Along The Infinite Sea and have enjoyed many Beatriz Williams books. Right now I'm binge reading Barbara Taylor Bradford. I cannot leave out Eye Of The Needle and Triple. I'm a huge Ken Follet fan! I'd love to follow your reviews if you are on Ammmmazon

Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Hands down my favorite is Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers. I'd probably take it with me to a desert island.

I'll also concur with those who mentioned Jane Eyre and Rebecca.

I just read To the Lighthouse last year and really liked it. I don't think I would have enjoyed it when I was much younger.

Some other random favorites:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (but only if you've already read Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books