Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 02:34 PM

20,389 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

There is a novel I read as a kid, it may have been young adult fiction or just regular fiction.

It was about a society where spiders were sacred. There was a female main character, young, maybe a child or teen, who might have been a priestess of some kind. The spiders were endowed with some sort of sentience, she was concerned about things like their sensitivity to vibration, she was friendly to them, they communicated with her in gestures. At the end there is some kind of apocalypse, like an Atlantis sort of event. A temple being destroyed.

There may have been themes of an innocent isolated indigenous culture and invasion from outsiders.

My memories are VERY vague, but if this rings a bell for anyone, I would love to figure out what book this is.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Here's one https://www.amazon.com/Deepness-Sky-...2232842&sr=1-2

But there are quite a few books with sentient spiders. I can't link due to it being a competing site, but if you google "novel sentient spiders" then you should come across a question someone had about what novels contain sentient spiders and the suggestions made there.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Yeah, it's odd, I had just the off-hope maybe someone had read it and could say, "Oh yes, that is -this- book." The spiders weren't properly sentient really, except maybe in some kind of a spiritual sense. Definitely not on a human level. They were sacred, but still kind of...just spiders.

I did a bunch of google searches using keywords from my vague recollection. Did not find it.

There was definitely NO outer space angle to the story.

Thanks though! I'll keep thinking and looking, maybe I'll figure it out.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, it's odd, I had just the off-hope maybe someone had read it and could say, "Oh yes, that is -this- book." The spiders weren't properly sentient really, except maybe in some kind of a spiritual sense. Definitely not on a human level. They were sacred, but still kind of...just spiders.

I did a bunch of google searches using keywords from my vague recollection. Did not find it.

There was definitely NO outer space angle to the story.

Thanks though! I'll keep thinking and looking, maybe I'll figure it out.
Fantasy then? Do you have any idea what year you read it in?

ETA: Native American story? Can't be Charlotte's Web, can it?

Last edited by netwit; 08-11-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Nope, not Charlotte's Web, it was WAY more obscure than that, and it wasn't Native American folklore. It was a fantasy novel about a simple culture who I think worshipped spiders (normal, not human-sentient, not overlarge spiders) and I would have read it around the very early 90's. It would have probably been at my middle school's library, so I'm guessing it was one of those slim adolescent fiction type books, but I'm not certain of that. I just clearly recall that there was some outsider group of people who came, and invaded, and tried to take over the culture, and towards then end there was some kind of a cataclysm, like an earthquake or something, that destroyed the temple where the spiders were. It was told from the perspective of a young woman who I believe was a young priestess or acolyte.

I've been all over the Googles, I swear I've never had such a tough time identifying a book!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM

Tell me about it. I'm obsessed with finding out what kind of pocket books I read as a tween back in the early '70s. I lived in a rural area and the local grocery store had pocket books of Aesop's Fables and other stories. I think they were all short stories. I just remember that one book had a story set in Italy about a pumpkin that split apart (I think there was a Pumpkin Man who was evil and it was his head that someone hit and killed) and in the morning, the pumpkin seeds had all turned into pumpkin heads growing out of the ground. It was creepy and unsettling and I didn't like it much. But I am curious as to who the writer was.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:01 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
Both of you should try Stump the Bookseller | New format, same book stumper solving.

"Stump the Bookseller is a service offered by Loganberry Books to reconnect people to the books they love but can’t quite remember. In brief (for more detailed information see our About page), people can post their memories here, and the hivemind goes to work. After all, the collective mind of bibliophiles, readers, parents and librarians around the world is much better than just a few of us thinking. Together with these wonderful Stumper Magicians, we have a nearly 50% success rate in finding these long lost but treasured books. The more concrete the book description, the better the success rate, of course. It is a labor of love to keep it going, and there is a modest fee. Please see the How To page to find price information and details on how to submit your Book Stumper and payment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books