Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys! I am looking for books that really make you feel the season they are set in, or the area they are set in. It somewhat annoys me when I read a book that doesn't do a good job with accurately portraying the season for the area the book is set in. Let me try to explain a little better.

What I mean by "feel" the season, is that the author does a great job in conveying what that season is like (in other words, not talking about how cold it is in Atlanta in October, or how it is 100 degrees in Minnesota in May or something), the activities of the season, and the subtle things that may go on during that season in the area the book is set. Same goes for the setting. I want to find some books that really make you feel like you are there while reading them, and are part of the area. I'm not asking for a certain season or area (although I would prefer to stay in the US), so spring/summer/fall/winter are all in play here.

So what books do you guys know of that might fit this? Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
I’ve read many such books.

Off the top of my head:

Laura Pritchett’s Stars Go Blue. The depiction of a northern CO rural ranch’s willow stems gaining their vivid warm hues in winter brought back memories that suddenly made me ache to return to CO, from where we had moved away. (Yes, we moved back, and yes, we have the willows on our land here!).

James Galvin’s The Meadow, also set in the same Rocky Mountain region. His writing is like poetry in its evocation of locale, seasons, and nature. There is, again, the backdrop of inky night sky with brilliant stars in the as-yet non-light-polluted surroundings.

Both books quietly paint both the beauty and the difficulties associated with such places, and what it takes to endure.

What else...lots more, because I too love these kinds of novels.

Jim Lynch’s The Highest Tide, a coming-of-age tale set in the verdant PNW wetness near Olympia, WA.

Several set in the desert SW whose names I cannot remember. My own books are still boxed from two moves ago. I will post here if I can make a good list.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM

134 posts, read 113,721 times
Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival

The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk

Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I’ve read many such books.

Off the top of my head:

Laura Pritchett’s Stars Go Blue. The depiction of a northern CO rural ranch’s willow stems gaining their vivid warm hues in winter brought back memories that suddenly made me ache to return to CO, from where we had moved away. (Yes, we moved back, and yes, we have the willows on our land here!).
Sounds just like what I am looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
James Galvin’s The Meadow, also set in the same Rocky Mountain region. His writing is like poetry in its evocation of locale, seasons, and nature. There is, again, the backdrop of inky night sky with brilliant stars in the as-yet non-light-polluted surroundings.

Both books quietly paint both the beauty and the difficulties associated with such places, and what it takes to endure.

What else...lots more, because I too love these kinds of novels.

Jim Lynch’s The Highest Tide, a coming-of-age tale set in the verdant PNW wetness near Olympia, WA.

Several set in the desert SW whose names I cannot remember. My own books are still boxed from two moves ago. I will post here if I can make a good list.
Sounds great! My husband and I fell in love with Colorado after our vacation there a few years ago, so I will definitely put those on my list to check out!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,031,394 times
The Lightouse Road by Peter Geye. In just a few words, the author made me feel I was standing on the shore of Lake Superior smelling the air just before a storm, or walking down a sidewalk in early 1900s Duluth. He just seems to have a gift for description and I found the novel a delight for the imagination.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
The Lightouse Road by Peter Geye. In just a few words, the author made me feel I was standing on the shore of Lake Superior smelling the air just before a storm, or walking down a sidewalk in early 1900s Duluth. He just seems to have a gift for description and I found the novel a delight for the imagination.
Just looked this up, and it sounds very interesting! I can imagine Northern MN being a quite interesting place, especially back then.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury really puts you in the fall season(my favorite season) with the description of the tumbling,wind blown leaves,and the howling October winds.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Any of William Kent Krueger's books. The woods of northern Minnesota are just as much a character as any of the characters. I'd start with Iron Lake and go from there.

C.J. Box's books, set in Wyoming. Box's love for the wilderness and small towns of Wyoming come through in every book. I'd start with Open Season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books