U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 AM

14,606 posts, read 20,420,766 times

Advertisements

Do any of you find that an author might have one excellent book that you really like and then read the others and think what a let down ? Just curious if I am the only one and, if you do could you post what author it was and what book you really liked and then the others were just blah for you . Thanks and I look forward to the replies and posts .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,516,430 times
Wally Lamb's books are fascinating, always a NY Times best seller ie [u]I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE, SHE'S COME UNDONE ETC.

But could not get through a recent book, [i]I'LL TAKE YOU THERE...very disappointed. Of course authors don't want to write same types of books each time but still...this was so unlike what I had come to enjoy...

Anne Tyler never veers too far away from her original style...and I am glad...a Pulitzer Prize winner, she remains true to type and a favorite author of many, including me.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM

18,590 posts, read 22,368,976 times
Dennis Lehane is very hit and miss. MOONLIGHT MILE and MYSTIC RIVER and others were great. SHUTTER ISLAND was horrible; just really, really bad. I had a hard time believing the same guy wrote it.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM

3,863 posts, read 2,409,865 times
All the time. They write one or a few books because they have a great story they have to tell. Later, they write because they have to write a book to fulfill a contractual obligation.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,907,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Do any of you find that an author might have one excellent book that you really like and then read the others and think what a let down ? Just curious if I am the only one and, if you do could you post what author it was and what book you really liked and then the others were just blah for you . Thanks and I look forward to the replies and posts .
I think once they get to endcap status, and the publisher no longer cares what they write so long as they continue to do so, some of them no longer care. I think some even farm it out, just providing plotlines to 'lancers and then editing it for style (so it now sounds like them).

Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,516,430 times
Farm it out....I like that. James Patterson does it, would not read one for anything.
[/list]
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I think once they get to endcap status, and the publisher no longer cares what they write so long as they continue to do so, some of them no longer care. I think some even farm it out, just providing plotlines to 'lancers and then editing it for style (so it now sounds like them).

Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,907,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Farm it out....I like that. James Patterson does it, would not read one for anything. [/list]
[/b]
I'm absolutely convinced Brian Herbert farms Dad's franchise out to 'lancers, one chapter per 'lancer. My suggestion:

• Eat something beforehand, not too much, that will not cause pain if you toss it.
  • Go to your local library.
  • Snag a small trash can on your way to the SF.
  • Look up one of his three most recent Dune books.
  • Find a private spot where you won't be too embarrassed. For one thing, you have your reputation to think of, and at a library you might actually be seen by people of quality. If absolutely necessary, go to the can of your gender and hide in a stall. (If you use this method, you can put the small trash can back. Practice leave-no-trace readbarfing.)
  • Read Chapter One. Be ready to be quick like bunny in case gorge rises.
  • Read Chapter Two, vomiting as necessary. Notice that it's presented as if the writer had no idea what was covered in Chapter One.
  • Keep the place clean. After all, this is the library. One should act as if in church.
  • Go home and read the one-star reviews of the book, just to help settle your stomach and restore some faith in humanity.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM

16,947 posts, read 6,673,769 times
Danielle Steel is a perfect example of this. Way, way, way back in the day, when she first started publishing, her books were engaging and well written. Once she became established she just started churning out crap, each one worse than the last. I just looked her up--haven't read her in decades--and she's still churning them out, though why anyone would waste their time is beyond me.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM

3,183 posts, read 6,823,830 times
I read The Stranger by Harlan Coben and enjoyed it even though it isn't my usual sort of book. I travel a lot for work so I sometimes like books that are easy to either read or listen to in the hustle-bustle of the airport. I was excited to see that he had written several others. Unfortunately, I tried two more, Fool Me Once and Home, and didn't like either of them much at all. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,508,223 times
I found some book series where I only like one book out of the set... I might read book 3 of 5 and not read 1,2,4,5. I like just that one book and don't care how it began or ended the series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or