Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times

Advertisements

What do you need to have perfect comfort as a reader? I'm a single, child-free reader and hoarder of books. My entire house is set up to offer comfortable reading spots.

IMO, big throw pillows and soft blankets are ideal, as well as good lighting and places to rest your cup of tea.

I"m planning on getting a small wheeled cart from IKEA to put my bullet journal supplies on and my current reading choices.

Any other things for a reader looking to create refuges within her home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
A pet

You sound like me...single, childfree, into reading every day....and books falling all over my house. Need more bookshelves.

I like having a cat or two close to me...

Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
A pet

You sound like me...single, childfree, into reading every day....and books falling all over my house. Need more bookshelves.

I like having a cat or two close to me...
LOL - got two dogs and a cat. That's taken care of!

I can't wait to get my Rakskolg cart for the bullet journal supplies!

Because I am a dork

Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
A quiet room, where I will not be disturbed...

A large upholstered chair that I can lean back and sink into, one in which I can remain seated in for hours at a time...

A footstool or small ottoman to raise my legs up to a comfortable level...

A dedicated reading light, set behind, but shining a small pool of light over my shoulder and onto the book...

A snifter of cognac, served neat, on a small side table, within easy reach...

A fire in the nearby fireplace, properly stoked and lit so that it will burn for hours without tending...

Some light instrumental music playing softly in the background, without interruption...

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
I love my kids, but I am so very jealous of you right now.

How about a little plug-in cup warmer to keep your tea/coffee/cocoa nice and toasty warm on that cart next to you?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Honestly? A book. To be Perfectly comfortable, a chair of some sort (or a clean floor/pants I don't mind getting dirty). Once I start reading, everything else vanishes to my perception (obviously, I don't read in situations where any sort of threat might appear). Talking/loud noises don't make it in, movement in my peripheral vision isn't registered, physical discomfort along with hot/cold are largely ignored... smells, something truly rotten, will snap me out of it, but that's pretty rare.

A softly cushioned chair or a hard bench (or the ground), really doesn't make much difference except for length of time spent reading. Time is really the biggest limiting factor, I can only digest about an hours worth of reading in one go.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Then I am a dork too

OTE=JrzDefector;50391660]LOL - got two dogs and a cat. That's taken care of!

I can't wait to get my Rakskolg cart for the bullet journal supplies!

Because I am a dork[/quote]

Old 12-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Honestly? A book. To be Perfectly comfortable, a chair of some sort (or a clean floor/pants I don't mind getting dirty). Once I start reading, everything else vanishes to my perception (obviously, I don't read in situations where any sort of threat might appear). Talking/loud noises don't make it in, movement in my peripheral vision isn't registered, physical discomfort along with hot/cold are largely ignored... smells, something truly rotten, will snap me out of it, but that's pretty rare.

A softly cushioned chair or a hard bench (or the ground), really doesn't make much difference except for length of time spent reading. Time is really the biggest limiting factor, I can only digest about an hours worth of reading in one go.
I can read anywhere for the most part too - I download books onto my phone and read everywhere I go. But I like to do marathon reading sessions at home. I finished the last Harry Potter in one mammoth reading session in my backyard in a hammock. So comfort is a key objective if I'm gonna be absorbed for 3 hours or so.

I'm usually cocooned in blankets in winter - I hate the cold!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
When Im reading, Im in a different world, and it doesn't matter much what's in my physical space. But my old eyes require very good light.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Has your cart arrived, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books