Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cida;51058874]First, keep in mind that Amazon in fact hasn't produced a fine product. It's a service. It is, in effect, leeching off of companies that do provide products.

Second, keep in mind that you've been conditioned to think that you need something "quickest" when you usually don't.

Third, I do wish everyone had great return service, of course. But I can't help pointing out that your example is that they screwed up your order to begin with. If you are buying something in person from a store, that doesn't happen.

Fourth, if I change your question to "Why knock someone who has a fine service" - well, as I said, Why support a billionaire who doesn't really need your money? Why support someone who is driving others out of business? Why not support your own community?[/QUOTE

If you want to find out about a book. An Amazon search is quick and informative. There are often publisher’s descriptions and reader reviews which I find helpful. Today I received a copy of a used cookbook from an individual seller who markets through Amazon.

I think Amazon’s good service is its principal product, and that is why it is so successful.

And, Amazon produces the best e reader. I use the Kindle app on my IPad. But there are plenty of Kindle e-readers out there.

I have hated to see local bookstores close. I am happy to visit B&N, especially for picture books but also for other reading material. I requested a copy of the last Ursula le Guin title, and they had it for me in three days.

For avid readers I think there is room for Amazon, with all its faults, and other booksellers. The key is, fostering book reading. With enough reader demand, there should be space for all providers. But saying that Amazon does not produce a good product, much of which is its service, is simply not true.

And of course a reader can certainly opt for patronizing local booksellers exclusively, if she has access to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
Where do you all buy your paperbacks and hardcover books from? I usually use amazon and also the book outlet for mine plus book of the month club!
I almost exclusively use Amazon. My interest is very specific, so I doubt the books I want to read are even carried at my local bookstore. A couple of years ago, I did find some interesting theological books at an old used bookstore where I used to live. That had to have been one of the only times in like the past decade that I haven't used Amazon to buy my books.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
Mostly on Ebay if I want a specific book. I browse alot for new authors I might like at thrift shops and hit up all the libraries - some sell books all the time by me, others have pretty good sales. I do try to buy a few books at Barnes and Noble only because I hate like hell to see them ever go out of business. Not that the few books I buy will rescue them, but I figure if everyone just bought a few books there - they might be able to stick around for a few more decades.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Mostly on Ebay if I want a specific book. I browse alot for new authors I might like at thrift shops and hit up all the libraries - some sell books all the time by me, others have pretty good sales. I do try to buy a few books at Barnes and Noble only because I hate like hell to see them ever go out of business. Not that the few books I buy will rescue them, but I figure if everyone just bought a few books there - they might be able to stick around for a few more decades.
I buy books for the grands there. I like to read the picture books, or early readers to tell if I lije them. I keep books around for then when they visit.

And I bought my book journal there!

I want them to stick around, as you do.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:50 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
First, keep in mind that Amazon in fact hasn't produced a fine product. It's a service. It is, in effect, leeching off of companies that do provide products.
Service is a product. And it's no more 'leeching' than an actual bookstore.

Quote:
Second, keep in mind that you've been conditioned to think that you need something "quickest" when you usually don't.
I always choose the cheapest delivery option. As for finding an answer to my question when searching for something, it's not a matter of need but of want. Yes, I'd prefer to find the title of the book I want, for sale, in one minute rather than in ten minutes. That's not conditioning, it's just a better allocation of limited time resources.

Quote:
Third, I do wish everyone had great return service, of course. But I can't help pointing out that your example is that they screwed up your order to begin with. If you are buying something in person from a store, that doesn't happen.
LOL

You must be the only person who hasn't been overcharged for one or more of the 100 or so things in the grocery line, only to notice later. Or having been sold an incompatible device by a someone 'in person' who assured you that it was what you needed to solve your problem. Or driven away from the sandwich shop or the pharmacy or any one of numerous other locations only to discover that what you ordered is not what was handed to you.

Quote:
Fourth, if I change your question to "Why knock someone who has a fine service" - well, as I said, Why support a billionaire who doesn't really need your money? Why support someone who is driving others out of business? Why not support your own community?
What a silly comment.

Are you posting this on a PC or a Mac? Just wondering which 'billionaire who doesn't need your money' you've supported when buying this piece of hardware, when there were other options.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I buy books for the grands there. I like to read the picture books, or early readers to tell if I lije them. I keep books around for then when they visit.

And I bought my book journal there!

I want them to stick around, as you do.
Hurray! I tried to rep you but I got the message I gotta spread it around first - LOL!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
I buy from Amazon first and ebay 2nd if the Amazon price is too high. I tend to compare prices and buy the cheapest if I buy an actually book. I buy mostly for my kindle unless they are priced higher than the print copies.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Better World Books, Abe Books, and Barnes and Noble.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
These days, I typically only buy fiction if it's 99 cents on Amazon - otherwise I go to the library. I WILL buy it on impulse when I'm traveling though. There are some very good selections in the bookstores. Also, sometimes I will go to a good indie bookstore and see something I haven't seen before - if I'm looking for reading material and like the store, I will often get the book. But mainly I go to the library.

Nonfiction, I will frequently purchase. Usually from Amazon, but often I get books that are meaningful at the time that I'm traveling.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
I get all my books from Amazon, thru the resellers. Choose the 'used' books by condition, and the best resellers. I got The Million Dollar boy for $6 in mint condition last week. And this week The Woman in the Window evidently brand new in a sealed plastic sleeve, arrived yesterday for $11. Those included shipping and maybe tax if that applies; you can't go wrong. Almost 'instant' gratification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books