Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What's "ARC"?
ARC = Advance Reader's Copy. They are given out by publishers prior to publication to reviewers, bookstores, librarians, and others who the publisher thinks are influential readers to generate buzz for the book. Sometimes they are given away on goodreads. They typically are paperback, often don't have the same cover as the published copies, may still undergo another round of editing, and often don't have things like indexes or additional notes. They don't generally look "nice" on a bookshelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I buy those books that have been recommended to me but that I can't find at the library -- usually used copies from online sites like Better World Books.

I keep those books that I am fairly sure that I will want to read or refer to again. (The others I donate to the library for their used books -- usually at least a couple of dozen about every five years or so.)

Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
i buy as many as possible

i toss out nary a one

i am addicted to my local second hand book store.............and have had to buy FOUR floor to ceiling bookcases since moving here 4 years ago..... to add to the five already around the house..... pretty soon i think i will convert the upstairs bathroom into more space for books, with plywood over the vanity and tub, two more bookcases on the back and side wall and above the tub i think i can get 5 maybe 6 shelves installed.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:36 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

i toss out nary a one

i am addicted to my local second hand book store.............and have had to buy FOUR floor to ceiling bookcases since moving here 4 years ago..... to add to the five already around the house..... pretty soon i think i will convert the upstairs bathroom into more space for books, with plywood over the vanity and tub, two more bookcases on the back and side wall and above the tub i think i can get 5 maybe 6 shelves installed.
You are my kind of person...shelves overflowing here too. If you tire of your 2nd hand store, thriftbooks.com has an excellent list of books, $3.50 or less and free shipping with $10 purchase.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

i toss out nary a one

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are my kind of person...shelves overflowing here too. If you tire of your 2nd hand store, thriftbooks.com has an excellent list of books, $3.50 or less and free shipping with $10 purchase.
ABEBooks is another good site for used books.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
To buy - in a book shop, usually by browsing in the sections I particularly like, that's travel writing, history, crime fiction. It's rare for me to go into a book shop with the intention of buying a specific book. Sometimes a book title will catch my eye. Couple of weeks ago I saw Bonzo's War on a book spine. I wondered if it was about John 'Bonzo' Bonham, Led Zeppelin's drummer, but, no, when I looked at the front cover it was subtitled Animals Under Fire 1939-1945. So I bought it, but wouldn't have if it had been about John Bonham.

To keep - as soon as I've finished a book I'll know if I'm ever likely to want to read it again. Having said that, I have books that I struggled to read first time round, for some reason kept them, then got into on a second read. I picked up Dead Ernest by Alice Tilton (a Leonidas Witherall mystery) a few years ago in the US, and it was only on the third read that it suddenly 'clicked' with me, and now I love the series of books featuring him.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I try to buy a hard cover of every novel that I've read (via library/kindle, etc.) that I've truly LOVED, and keep them on my bookshelves. I like a lot of books, but LOVE only a few, so that means I only buy and keep apx. a dozen or so hard back fiction books a year. I also buy hardback editions of certain authors I love, such as Louise Erdrich.

If it's a reference book in one of my areas of interest (Prairies, native flowers, spinning and weaving, various places I've lived) I'll only buy hard back instead of Kindle or paperback. If I'm going to be using a book often it needs to be sturdy! I keep these too, of course.

I also buy historic hardbacks at in-person local auctions I go to if they have interesting covers or are in my genres of interest. I also toss a lot of these books due to condition!

I usually give the paperbacks I've purchased and already read to the local library book sale every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books