Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times

Advertisements

Just wondering who else here is familiar with this mystery writer, who sets most of his work around Hollywood (and the LAPD) in the period 1940-1970. I first picked up a copy of L A Confidential back in the early Nineties (the HBO film wouldn't be brought out until 1997) and was immediately intrigued by references to incidents like the killing of small-time gangster Johnny Stompanato in Lana Turner's apartment, and by Turner's teenaged daughter, in 1958 -- these were incidents I can recall, but was too young to fully comprehend at the time.

My biggest criticism of Ellroy (and this applies to a lot of mystery writers) is that he sometimes fails to research some of the historical and technical aspects of his work -- references, for example, to Interstate highways in the Fifties when, except for a handful of toll roads, construction seldom began before the mid-Sixties, And I'm curious as to whether the tensions in the last days before Pearl Harbor (depicted in Perfidia, first work of the still-in-progress second L A Quartet), were as visceral as they're depicted.

But all in all, a lot of great reading.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-20-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Saw the movie before reading the book....Story line and movie were excellent.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I have tried reading Ellroy. Can't do it. His prose hurts the mind.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:29 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I liked his early works the best. The first 3 are my faves. They are a loose trilogy, with the same cast of characters, and really capture what life was like in L.A. in the 10 years or so they cover.

Ellroy likes to experiment with writing; sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

I also liked his semi-autobiography quite a lot. Ellroy had a very strange and disturbing childhood in L.A.; his parents divorced, and he went with his mother, who was murdered. He then went to live with his father, who was an elderly and shiftless salesman who lived in skid-row hotels.
His father died while Ellroy was still a young teen, and Ellroy, an orphan, lived on the streets for the next 20 years. He was homeless while writing his first novel.

"My Mother's Murder" is an account of his childhood, later life, and his efforts to find his mother's killer after he became a wealthy, successful author. It's an astonishing story, and is written without his usual tricks and twists.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ellroy likes to experiment with writing; sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.
I can't stand in his writing.

The primary job of the writer is to disappear. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't show how smart and brilliant you are. Just tell the story. Any style you choose must be in service to the story, not showing off how smart you think you are.

Ellroy's prose feels forced and affected. I can tell he's trying to be stylistic. It is drawing attention to the prose and away from the story. He actually reminds me in some ways of Kerouac. "That's not writing. That's typing."

Elmore Leonard, on the other hand, has a very unique style, but it is never glaring. Totally natural. He writes sentences that would make my high school English teacher pull her hair out, but they feel totally natural and they serve the story, not Elmore Leonard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books