Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I have this book, Fire in the blood, in my to read pile and will let you know how I liked it after I am done with it.... such a big pile of books!
Somehow, I have a credit with QPBC. I guess I paid a bill twice, perhaps? Anyway, I thought I might order it. Would be interesting to see how it compares. I have yet to get on Amazon to check out a French version of Suite Francaise, like ontheroad suggested.

Maybe after we read Fire in the Blood, we can share how it compares, katsenfreund. I'm game.

Sorry you still feel poorly, gemkeeper. Rest up. Thanks for sharing the bit about this newest publication being among the notes of her mother's that Denise Epstein kept. How sad that little bit of info in the appendices and notes to Suite Francaise was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Here are the links to Amazon for the French version of Suite Francaise and Fire in the Blood in English. I do wish I hadn't read the reviews for Fire in the Blood, however. I plan on reading it in any case, but sometimes the reviews can taint one's own reading experience with a new book.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?...uite+Francaise

Amazon.com: Fire in the Blood: Irene Nemirovsky,Sandra Smith: Books

I think that a comparison would make a great discussion and I would love to join in, as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Somehow, I have a credit with QPBC. I guess I paid a bill twice, perhaps? Anyway, I thought I might order it. Would be interesting to see how it compares. I have yet to get on Amazon to check out a French version of Suite Francaise, like ontheroad suggested.

Maybe after we read Fire in the Blood, we can share how it compares, katsenfreund. I'm game.

Sorry you still feel poorly, gemkeeper. Rest up. Thanks for sharing the bit about this newest publication being among the notes of her mother's that Denise Epstein kept. How sad that little bit of info in the appendices and notes to Suite Francaise was.
RDSLOTS, that is where i got it from! It would be fun to discuss it, maybe others would like to read it, too and join in?

Gem, I hope you feel better again really soon!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
First I'd like to thank BlueWillowPlate, known always to me as cil and gemkeeper for their contribution in leading this discussion. Thank you both!

Also I thought I'd share an article on Nemirovsky that appeared in the April 21st issue of The Nation, and which I found on line here. Kaplan brings many substanitive issues to light in this work, and is a French instructor and studied in France. A worthwhile read for sure.

It is also likely that other members who were unable to join in the early discussion will come along as time goes by and that the Book Club Index will assist in locating threads.

Last edited by ontheroad; 05-19-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
I just ordered Shadows of a Childhood
Unfortunately I can only find Le Mirador in French and alas I do not read or speak french
If anyone knows if there is an English version please let me know

Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Gille's Watchtower (in English) is not available other than in French.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Thank you so much for guiding us to that very enlightening article in The Nation, ontheroad.

I can see that my next must-read will be Shadows of a Childhood. It is fascinating that Gille wrote the book using her mother's notes and scribblings and that her style is a reflection of that of Irene Nemirovsky. I am anxious to receive it, as well.

This article certainly adds even more interest in Nemirovsky's own life and other works. The more I read about her and the atmosphere in France during these threatening years, the more I want to delve into it. What a shame that The Watchtower is not yet published in English. It cannot be far behind, with a good translator, the caliber of Sandra Smith hopefully.

Welcome back, ontheroad. Does this mean "mission accomplished"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books