Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:21 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Hitler was writing during Germany's worst days since The Thirty Years War. Betrayed by its leaders who agreed to the Treaty of Versailles, the country had fallen into depression as well as political instability. Communists had gained a great amount of power and were working to do in Germany what they had done in Russia. The United States the only participant in the war that had not signed the terrible treaty, saw the same events that Hitler would see. This is why we greatly limited eastern European immigration.

Hitler wished the best for Germany just as our leaders wished the best for America.
I am not even remotely surprised that you're a Hitler fanboy.

Hitler cared nothing for the German people. He systematically had millions of them killed, and was the cause of the deaths of millions more of them. When the war was irretrievably lost, he ordered every last bit of infrastructure that could possibly be part of the rebirth of a post-war Germany - factories, bridges, communications, industry - razed before the advancing enemy. Albert Speer pleaded with him to let be what the post-war Germans would need, but he coldly told Speer that Germans, having lost the war, had proven themselves the weaker of the powers, and that the weak did not deserve to survive. The Berlin Gotterdamarung was entirely about Hitler going out 'heroically' so that he could have what he imagined to be a glorious place in German history - this is confirmed by numerous sources, including Speer and Goebbels (his diaries) - and the hundreds of thousands of German civilians that died so that Adolf could go out on his own terms? They mattered not one iota to the Fuehrer. Mercifully, Speer and numerous generals made sure that most of the destruction to German infrastructure that Hitler demanded did not happen. And it was Doenitz, in his brief tenure as Reich President, who enabled nearly two million soldiers to shift to the West in order to surrender to the western Allies instead of to the Red Army. Most POWs taken by the West survived, while the vast majority taken by the USSR died, and most of the small percentage to lived had to languish until 1955 until repatriation. There's your ridiculous 'Hitler wished the best for Germany' nonsense.

As a side note, the reason that the USSR managed to grab Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, the Baltic States, half of Germany, and assorted other bits of eastern Europe is precisely because of Hitler. Stalin was every bit as ruthless as Hitler, but he was far more cautious. But for Hitler's idiotic Barbarossa, the door to Europe never opens to Stalin. You obviously see Hitler as a positive force because he opposed communism, but you're too clueless to see that he more than anyone else is who made the USSR a superpower and advanced its ability to extend its oppression and subjugation abroad.

Last edited by Hulsker 1856; 02-19-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I read it when I was around 19 or 20. I found a copy in my grandmother's huge pile of books.

She was a school teacher for years, largely self-taught, and read everything. Once read, she never threw a book out, so I got to read her copy of the Communist Manifesto too, along with most of a medical encylopedia and an old set of Encyclopedia Brittanica, a lot of popular novels, travelogues, and many Reader's Digest condensed books.

I thought Mein Kampf was a tedious slog of a book that made no sense to me, and afterward wondered why Hitler was able to become so popular. He was a good speaker, for sure, but was a crappy writer. Karly Marx' writing was antique, but he was a lot better writer.

My grandmother first began college in 1917, while she was already teaching school. She was 18 then, and education was always supremely important to her; she finally got her bachelor's degree over 50 years later at age 69. A semester at a time, here and there, as best she could pursue it.

The college she got the degree from decided to waive the PE credits she needed to graduate, because she played on the girl's basketball team in the single semester she attended in 1917. Back in 1917, PE wasn't even a thing in education yet.

Wow, awesome grandmother!

Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
Nope. I don't have to lift the lid of the sewer to know what's inside.
No need for snide remarks.

Just don't post if you don't like the thread...

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, she was. Teaching was only her longest accomplishment. She had many, many others. I was really lucky to have her as a Grandmother, for sure. We had her for a long time too; she died at age 97.

I don't know how many generations of kids she taught, but it must have been at least 4 or 5, as some of my teachers in high school were her kids, and she taught the children of relatives and friends well into her 80s.

She taught my mother, me, and my daughter all how to read before age 5. I learned around age 3, as did my daughter. She was a very good teacher.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I think that I bullied Mike into writing a book about his grandma.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes, she was. Teaching was only her longest accomplishment. She had many, many others. I was really lucky to have her as a Grandmother, for sure. We had her for a long time too; she died at age 97.

I don't know how many generations of kids she taught, but it must have been at least 4 or 5, as some of my teachers in high school were her kids, and she taught the children of relatives and friends well into her 80s.

She taught my mother, me, and my daughter all how to read before age 5. I learned around age 3, as did my daughter. She was a very good teacher.
Yes...write a book, bmike!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,169 times
My undergrad degree is in history and I studied a lot of European History - 1700s-WWII. I wanted to read Mein Kamph but my professor told me that it did not translate well at all into English. Since I don't know German, I gave it a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books