U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:21 PM

88 posts, read 15,630 times

Advertisements

My local public library is in the process of ditching Overdrive (phased out at the end of November) and has switched to cloudLibrary for its EBooks and EAudiobooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 05:23 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,358,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy68 View Post
My local public library is in the process of ditching Overdrive (phased out at the end of November) and has switched to cloudLibrary for its EBooks and EAudiobooks.
I wonder if that'll be the case with all libraries. I'm not a fan of change.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:47 AM

36,684 posts, read 22,991,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I wonder if that'll be the case with all libraries. I'm not a fan of change.
LOL. Me either... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Our HI library went to Libby (but I think still use overdrive), the AF, Army and Navy use Overdrive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-25-2019, 06:05 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,497,052 times
Ha ha I am still way confused. I was elated when someone explained that if you get the ebook and then switch to airplane mode, at least the book will stay until you finish it and then can switch back. From what was explained, you are not really hogging it- it remains available for the next person. I hope I got that correct. That's about all I understand.
My current library system only allows for 14 days. Our old one (which I can still borrow ebooks from allows for 21 days which is what I am used to).

Old 10-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Ha ha I am still way confused. I was elated when someone explained that if you get the ebook and then switch to airplane mode, at least the book will stay until you finish it and then can switch back. From what was explained, you are not really hogging it- it remains available for the next person. I hope I got that correct. That's about all I understand.
My current library system only allows for 14 days. Our old one (which I can still borrow ebooks from allows for 21 days which is what I am used to).
My books now self destruct even if I am on Airplane mode.

There is a place in settings where you can choose how many days your loan is on Overdrive. My military books were 9 days. I mentioned to the librarian and she change the loan period on my phone.

But I can't remember where.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,644,200 times
As far as branches and sharing within statewide systems, it just depends what your particular library does. If your library is a large one, it may not need to belong to a group (San Francisco.) Or, if your library is smaller, they may be part of a system of libraries where ebooks are pooled (I know some states do this--where the entire state belongs to a statewide system.) Also, there are some libraries where for a yearly fee, you can pay to have a library card even if you are not in their tax zone. For in-state residents, that fee may be waived. This is something to check out, especially if you live in a small town where your ebook selection may be limited.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:24 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,090,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy68 View Post
That actually stinks if you use kindle because only overdrive can download to your kindle. I think they may find they get a lot of complaints. I hate reading on a tablet.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL. Me either... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Our HI library went to Libby (but I think still use overdrive), the AF, Army and Navy use Overdrive.
Libby is overdrive. It is there app for getting the books.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My books now self destruct even if I am on Airplane mode.

There is a place in settings where you can choose how many days your loan is on Overdrive. My military books were 9 days. I mentioned to the librarian and she change the loan period on my phone.

But I can't remember where.
The airplane mode only works if your device only uses WiFi. If it is a phone tablet or kindle or nook that has 3g or 4g it won’t keep the book. If it is a book that isn’t on hold you can often extend the time or reborrow. I don’t know a way of choosing your load length. Mine is always two weeks.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Libby is overdrive. It is there app for getting the books.
Huh. I have Libby and Overdrive apps on my phone. They may be the same but the military librarian told me their's only works on the Overdrive app (the one that says overdrive) and not Libby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books