U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:35 PM

36,719 posts, read 23,019,626 times

Advertisements

I may be a little confused on how library cards and branches work when it comes to electronic media and borrowing.

I have a Hawaii library card..... when I look to borrow a book electronically is it just for the branch where I have the card, or the whole statewide system?

I had a San Francisco library card and I think it was just for the San Francisco library, but I could get library cards from other cities within CA.

Bonus material!! I just realized the military has a library so I am getting a card from them tomorrow.

The Overdrive app allows multiple cards and will do a search based upon all your cards.

How can I maximize my library usage?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 2,502,341 times
I use the service but have to say I am totally confused with this. I use it but totally cannot figure it out either.
As far as borrowing rights and such I believe some towns or cities have reciprocal lending with certain others but it varies from town to town and county to county.at least in my experience.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Well, I got my AF and Navy library cards today, and will get Army soon.

I confirmed with them that their digital libraries are one central system, but they didn't know about the State card, so I'll have to go directly and ask.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:12 AM

10,835 posts, read 6,896,724 times
I have a U.S. Navy overdrive account (which has most of what I'm looking for), and our library has an overdrive site (where I look for kindle) and a main site (where I look for hardcover, paperbacks, and they also list the overdrive kindle books to boot). My wait list on the Navy OD is almost always near full (15 max).

You probably know this, but on our main site, under help, is Request a Title. If they approve it and purchase it, you are the first in line and get a brand spanking new book! I do this all the time and get approved around 90 percent of the time.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:45 AM

The Navy site is fabulous, they have on line music classes, Interactive language classes, all kinds of stuff.

I do the "request a book" a lot, but just saw that function about a year ago.

I read that Overdrive will search all of your libraries at one time, but haven't figured that out yet. I know how on my phone, but not on my computer.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:45 PM

57,897 posts, read 4,280,768 times
My overdrive searches for all books in the county where my card is from. But that county does not have a lot of electronic books, I hope yours is better.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM

28,066 posts, read 66,602,114 times
Libraries join different associations and share within their associations. Sometimes you can use your lcal library card at a library that is 50 miles away but not at the 3 libraries in between.

Our local library is the library for four towns. Then it is in an association that includes most of the libraries in smaller cities and towns throughout the state. some of the bigger libraries are in no associations and have no reciprocity with anyone, while others are in a different association than ours and have reciprocity only with the ones in their association.

there are also larger national associations. Our library can order a book from libraries all over the country, but in that association, outsiders get last priority so you can only get the book when no one local wants it. Also it takes 10+ days to get the book when it arrives.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Libraries join different associations and share within their associations. Sometimes you can use your lcal library card at a library that is 50 miles away but not at the 3 libraries in between.

Our local library is the library for four towns. Then it is in an association that includes most of the libraries in smaller cities and towns throughout the state. some of the bigger libraries are in no associations and have no reciprocity with anyone, while others are in a different association than ours and have reciprocity only with the ones in their association.

there are also larger national associations. Our library can order a book from libraries all over the country, but in that association, outsiders get last priority so you can only get the book when no one local wants it. Also it takes 10+ days to get the book when it arrives.

I tried looking this up and couldn't find any info, like what are the different associations (all I could find was public, university and schools)? How do I find out which "networks" our libraries are in?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM

26,481 posts, read 17,104,357 times
Call the library and ask. Or, look over their website. But a librarian will always talk with a patron.

Ask.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Call the library and ask. Or, look over their website. But a librarian will always talk with a patron.

Ask.

LOL. That probably makes the most sense, and is the most efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books