U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 AM

1,617 posts, read 728,114 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here order from thriftbooks.com? Is it safe? If you have used the site, how do you pay? I was going to get one of those visa gift cards and use that for payment. I don't feel comfortable to use my actual debit card.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 11:30 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,706,202 times
Hey, PinB, they also sell through Amazon. I've ordered from them countless times via Amazon, never had a problem, and found them completely trustworthy.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,157,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Does anyone here order from thriftbooks.com? Is it safe? If you have used the site, how do you pay? I was going to get one of those visa gift cards and use that for payment. I don't feel comfortable to use my actual debit card.

Thanks
You can use a visa gift card. The site is safe, but only so safe as they aren't hacked. Even large companies and your bank get hacked. This is why I agree not to use a debit card, unless it is a secondary account where you keep a limited amount of money in it.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,405,312 times
I have also bought books on amazon that were sold by thriftbooks, but I haven't ordered from their site directly. I don't worry about giving my credit card number to online stores, especially ones that I know for certain are real businesses, because you are protected when you make purchases on credit cards. If you discover fraudulent charges, they will be taken right off. Yes, it can be a pain because then you get a new card number, but other than that, there is very little risk. However, I NEVER use my debit card online -- actually, I almost never use my debit card anywhere at all. Because even if you are protected from fraud (and you are), there can always be a period of time when your bank account could have been drained. And that can create all kinds of headaches. So, I never use it. The only way I'd use a debit card anywhere, online or off, is if I kept a separate account linked to that card, and kept very little money in it. That is, it wouldn't be the account I depend on to pay most of my bills, like my mortgage.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:21 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,506,177 times
Quote:

Thanks

I buy from them frequently.....and use my cc, no problem.

Great selection, books take a week or more to arrive as they come from all over the US.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:25 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,499,625 times
I've bought from them too. No problem at all . . . the books were exactly as represented condition-wise and they came in a timely manner. I use my credit card and the process has been seamless. If I ever make it through the huge stack of TBR's piled artistically (I like to think!) around my house I'll order more from them. They also send out emails, if you like, with suggestions for books of similar to those you've already ordered. Thriftbooks was recommended to me by an English Lit teacher friend of mine who also recommends them to her students.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:51 AM

1,617 posts, read 728,114 times
Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:36 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,506,177 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.
I've spent hours on occasion, just looking through all the non fiction available, fiction too. Got caught up in ordering as the price is so low but NOW books are falling out of shelves, in boxes on the floor etc.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 AM

441 posts, read 323,622 times
I've never even heard of this website so thank you for mentioning it. Just bought 10 books (all good/very good condition) for $35.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM

9,870 posts, read 2,761,769 times
Quote:

Thanks

I am sure that would be fine. I would order from them, except that they don't take Amex, and that is the only card I use when ordering online.

I order used books from Better World Books instead, which also donates books to the needy, and shipping is usually free! (HUGE selection and great prices, too!)

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books