U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 AM

3,699 posts, read 1,307,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
James Daunt has done remarkedly well at Waterstones (which includes Foyles and and this is good news for Barnes and Noble.
I agree and I used to work there. A few customers who came in told me they've gone digital (Nook, Kindle, whatever), but most of them were there to buy books. A lot of people still ordered books we didn't have in stock and either had them shipped to their home or they picked them up in-store. The $25 membership fee was a hard sell, though. Most people just aren't going to pay that for a 10% discount.

I hope the new owners actually want to turn BN around they same way they did with Waterstones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 AM

15,164 posts, read 5,389,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I agree and I used to work there. A few customers who came in told me they've gone digital (Nook, Kindle, whatever), but most of them were there to buy books. A lot of people still ordered books we didn't have in stock and either had them shipped to their home or they picked them up in-store. The $25 membership fee was a hard sell, though. Most people just aren't going to pay that for a 10% discount.

I hope the new owners actually want to turn BN around they same way they did with Waterstones.
I couldn't think of anyone better than James Daunt, in terms of securing the long term future of B&N.

Daunt has a real passion for books and book shops.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I couldn't think of anyone better than James Daunt, in terms of securing the long term future of B&N.

oh good! That's awesome to hear!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Nice article about James Daunt and the future of B&N .

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/b...mes-daunt.html

Old 08-14-2019, 04:33 PM

9,684 posts, read 2,601,440 times
One thing that B&N does that boggles my mind is the fact that their online site will list the same merchandise with their "marketplace sellers" for much less than they offer it, even with the added shipping cost. (I am talking about NEW books and DVDs.) Why in the world would they do that? In that case, the only advantage in ordering from B&N direct is faster delivery, but with me, that hardly ever matters when it comes to books and movies.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 PM

2,151 posts, read 777,231 times
Quote:

Hope so its one of my favorite bookstores.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:11 AM

359 posts, read 205,869 times
I never shop at Barnes and Noble and I read a great amount. I go to half price books or the library or Amazon because I won't pay full price.

The advantages to shopping at a store is you can see the size of the type, the binding, quality of paper and read through it, not just what you can read online. Some books are made very cheaply and don't last, with tiny type.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 PM

12,375 posts, read 3,629,660 times
Hedge funds pile the company with debt and suck the blood out of them till there is nothing left.

I know there will still be small bookstores, but not where I live (suburbia).

Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM

21 posts, read 4,477 times
I think they are in dire need of new management and new thinking that keeps them in the middle of this big market

Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM

1,653 posts, read 578,244 times
I don't often drive out to the area of the closest B&N. I noted the huge size of the store and aisles wide enough to drive a car through. The last book store within 10 miles is small and crammed full of books on tall shelves in narrow aisles. The money it saves on rent and heat keeps it open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or