U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:37 PM

1,456 posts, read 296,170 times

Advertisements

Depends... The book I'm reading now is around 800 pages long. I simply can't imagine commuting each day in a sweltering heat holding that big monster and letting it soak up what little bit of moisture hasn't already poured off me. So e-book it is. Sitting at home, sipping iced cider in front of an industrial strength fan whilst trying to hold down the pages could also be a tad tricky. On a cool night however, tucked in bed, nothing better than a real thing to fall asleep next to.

One thing I can't do is audiobooks, I lack attention span for anything like that. But e-books and paper books all have a place in my life. At first, I wasn't at all sold on e-books, but I have to say, the convenience, no nonsense note and bookmark facilities, inbuilt dictionary, and sheer range of material that is just a click away made me a very easy convert. Nowadays, though my physical library is quite large, the number of e-books I have would require several lifetimes to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM

10,882 posts, read 6,950,042 times
I'm lugging around the 854 page Maeve Binchy: Three Complete Books: The Lilac Bus; Firefly Summer; Silver Wedding library hardcover. I'm trying to stay in order, but the short stories I read'm when I can find'm lol.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 296,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I'm lugging around the 854 page Maeve Binchy: Three Complete Books: The Lilac Bus; Firefly Summer; Silver Wedding library hardcover. I'm trying to stay in order, but the short stories I read'm when I can find'm lol.
My heart goes out to you 854 pages that's quite a workout.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:26 AM

10,882 posts, read 6,950,042 times
it's not so bad - a solid copy, i can read it one handed no problem - L or R.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 AM

11,918 posts, read 5,587,542 times
paper books

Old 07-20-2019, 03:42 PM

11,237 posts, read 10,323,916 times
Paper, always.

Too bad you didn't make this a poll.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,802,733 times
Twenty years ago, I dated a woman in her early 30s. Quite the reader, she. I was in my late 20s, working in tech everyday, and saw the direction a few things would go. The Cloud did not dawn on me, per se, though I was as "there" as can-be in '07 when Microsoft took Azure from drawing board to prototypes...never mind.

What I *did* see was the imminent destruction of the bookstore. It took only a few things: ways to prolifically downlod epub, PDF, or (later on) Kindle format files. File sharing started rolling that ball for those who remember music sharing. Two, an online massive retailer. Amazon started off as books, and expanded into everything else later. Three, a common format: Kindle started or near-started that. Epub came out at some point, too. PDF has been around more than thirty years and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Four, equal or lesser cost, eBook vs. print: that's easy enough, they're usually cheaper and materials cost is zero. And five, cheap and high quality readers. This was missing in 1999.

The girl I mentioned didn't like that. Not...one...bit. She couldn't see it, making dumb statements like "eBooks are a fad" "bookstores will always be around" and my favorite, "I'll never read an eBook!" Sure you won't, other than the instructions to pretty much every gadget are now online from the website.

I knew that tablets would eventually appear, but guessed sooner than they really did. The iPad came out in 2010, a long time later, but still swept the field (I waited in line ofr mine and used it for years w/few complaints). Laptops were a little ponderous in the '00s, though Microsoft had an early swipe at "Tablet PC" around 2001, which later was part of XP. But the black and white Kindle readers...ah hah! Those started cheap and got cheaper/better. By the time of the iPad they were full color and relatively inexpensive for a lot of cool stuff.

I've seldom if-ever bought a paper book from (about) 2005. My phone has a 6" screen, almost 7" on the new ones I suspect. I have a 10" or so Android tablet I read news and books on every morning before work, though those are apparently headed for the ash-heap of history, too: I assume that's due to laptop OS convergence with small devices as the latter become thinner. Can't wait until a Surface Pro 8 (or so, gen or two away) runs "Win 10 Lite" which boots in 4 seconds from sleep, < 1 min from full shutdown. Wont' need lean OS's like Android so-and-so by that point, which I assume is their assumption too since there are fewer an fewer.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 AM

21 posts, read 4,576 times
In general reading books need a quiet climate
I prefer a paper book on e to increase my own library

Old 09-17-2019, 10:18 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,283,211 times
I switched to mostly Kindle a few years ago because I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It is so bad in my hands and wrists that I have a hard time holding real books sometimes. I'm re-reading a hardback now and it gets uncomfortable. Also, I can't go anywhere without several books, and with the RA (also in my spine), I just can't carry them around anymore. But books with maps, pics, illustrations, etc., are so much better in "real" paper form than on Kindle.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 AM

6,866 posts, read 4,171,823 times
i like paper like everyone else, but ebooks are great when you can't find stuff, especially when you live abroad, and choices in your own language are limited where you are.

As for audiobooks, i've been wanting to give it a try, but i actually like to read. I already listen to a lot of music and podcasts too, so i prefer to have some silent time for that activity.

I guess if I had to drive a lot I'd probably enjoy more audio books, but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books