Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:05 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,042,372 times

Advertisements

i read one in a day on wednesday - only 193 pages though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM

9,545 posts, read 6,978,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I remember not being able to put down Day of the Jackal, by Frederick Forsyth on a work night! That my friends was a binge. I finally straggled into bed around 2 am.

But had to finish it finally the next day.
That is a great book!

----

My 7th grader binge reads. She reads constantly for 3 months, then not at all for 2 months, and so on. She has been like this ever since she started reading chapter books independently.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:39 PM

36,936 posts, read 40,781,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That is a great book!

----

My 7th grader binge reads. She reads constantly for 3 months, then not at all for 2 months, and so on. She has been like this ever since she started reading chapter books independently.
My mother used to take me to the library on Saturday. I would check out six books (the limit allowed) and have them all read by Sunday evening, finishing one and then immediately picking up the next.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 PM

1,380 posts, read 396,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find the idea, and phrase, distasteful - as if a person doesn't normally read, but then does it to excess. Is an hour a "binge"? What do you think?

Why You Should Start Binge-Reading Right Now
Ditch Netflix for a novel. And not just because a novelist is telling you to.

For the first time in as long as I could remember, my sole source of entertainmentfor an evening was going to be a book.

https://gulfnews.com/opinion/off-the...ing-1.63733289
For me a binge read was when I got the Twilight Saga books and read them non-stop back to back cover to cover. Walked around the house reading them...tried to cook while reading. The only time I stopped reading was to shower, sleep and go to work.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM

29,568 posts, read 33,967,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
And one or two hours is not at all a "binge" read. To me, a bing read (and also a binge watch) would be about 8 hours -- an entire day.
It's "one more chapter" until you look up and notice it's almost time to get up.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 PM

32,445 posts, read 47,207,479 times
A binge is the arrival of a new Patricia Briggs book and then staying up all night to read it.

The big problem with that is that then the book is done and gone and its another year for the next one.

If I find an new-to-me author that I like, I will get as many of their books as I can find and plow through them pretty quickly.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:58 AM

9,073 posts, read 4,881,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
To me, a "binge" would be focusing on a particular subject or author, and then pursing it with several books.

I agree - I think the article is peculiar coming from a novelist.
I agree about reading everything from one author as a binge. I read all the Jack Reacher novels I could find (and think I got them all) before moving on....LOL. I need a hero!

Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 AM

9,073 posts, read 4,881,706 times
and I bought an old copy of Catcher in the Rye......will re-read.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:25 PM

36,936 posts, read 40,781,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree about reading everything from one author as a binge. I read all the Jack Reacher novels I could find (and think I got them all) before moving on....LOL. I need a hero!
I like finding a new author with a slew of books I have not read, too.

I recently binged on the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, in anticipation of her upcoming new book, though I do that with every new book she writes.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:34 AM

23,237 posts, read 13,528,040 times
Right now, I am working on my speed reading. I was doing ULTRA SPEED, where it is blinkblinkblink, say 100 pages in 20 minutes,.....but that takes 4-6 months to process through the self conscious and for me to really remember what I have read.

So now I am work on Fast Read, where I am still seeing each word but not saying it out loud in my head but where I can tell you what I've read that day. It moves along like at 50 pages in 40 minutes.

Since I am I doing it to boost my reading speed and to clear out my library of some of a few thousands of novels, it is more a thing of just pulling books off the shelf and reading them, one after the other, regardless of the subject. This morning, I finished a Melinda Snodgrass; by the end of the day, a Quiller should be done. Tomorrow, maybe the French Atlantic Affair and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books