Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking this again with this article about Ann Patchett:

Ann Patchett Will Eventually Discuss Her Book
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/b...tch-house.html
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-in-nashville

And I know Larry McMurtry has had one.

Any other authors that you know of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I have never heard of a successful writer who owned a bookstore? Why would he waste his time in a bookstore when he could be writing? A writer who needs another job isn't a real writer.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
I have been to Ann Patchett's book store in Nashville and it is wonderful! I heard her interviewed once and she explained that she was concerned after two indie bookstores closed in Nashville and that she didn't really have a burning desire to own a bookstore, but she also didn't want to live in a community without one. So, she stepped up. I respect that!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have never heard of a successful writer who owned a bookstore? Why would he waste his time in a bookstore when he could be writing? A writer who needs another job isn't a real writer.
Well, I think Larry McMurtry would be considered a successful writer.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, I think Larry McMurtry would be considered a successful writer.
Yes.

It's one thing to own a bookstore and provide general, part-time guidance as to how it is run. It's another thing to own in and manage all its aspects. And even if one did the latter? Well, the world is full of great literature created by people who had lives and careers other than writing.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

I have never heard of a successful writer who owned a bookstore? Why would he waste his time in a bookstore when he could be writing?
It's not as if they are slaving away behind the register from 9am-9 pm.

Ann Patchett is only in her bookstore here on special occasions. It's more of a labor of love, as pinetreelover said, to advance the mission of locally owned and curated bookstores.

Quote:
A writer who needs another job isn't a real writer.
Again, she didn't do it because she needed the other job.

Plenty of good writers need other jobs before they reach the point where they can live off their book earnings.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Again, she didn't do it because she needed the other job.

Plenty of good writers need other jobs before they reach the point where they can live off their book earnings.
Indeed.

The idea that an artist who doesn't support themselves via their art isn't 'real' is some pretty silly pretension. So to is the idea that these authors, and many others, were not 'real' until they finally became financial successes via writing (which, in the case of Melville, was until long after his death - he made some money during his life, but wasn't self-supporting with the pen):

Cormac McCarthy
Margaret Atwood
John Steinbeck
Herman Melville
Toni Morrison
J.D. Salinger
Kurt Vonnegut

Old 10-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Yes.

It's one thing to own a bookstore and provide general, part-time guidance as to how it is run. It's another thing to own in and manage all its aspects. And even if one did the latter? Well, the world is full of great literature created by people who had lives and careers other than writing.
In fact, most aspiring authors - I mean younger people who dream of making a living as novelists - don't realize that most writers do have day jobs. If people would read the jacket bio, they'd see that right away.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:15 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Good for Patchett for being committed to her bookstore, especially with Amazon moving in across the street. Wish there were more authors like her. The article below about her Nashville bookstore was in our L.A. Times yesterday:

How a thriving indie bookseller is taking on Amazon’s bricks-and-mortar insurgence:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ssus-bookstore

Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Glad to know you're a "real writer" so you can set the record straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books